Bobcat 610

/ Bobcat 610 #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Hello, I am looking at trading around for a 610 Bobcat. When I look at Bobcats historical data they have a M 610 but no plain 610. When I read there history they talk all about the 610 and do not show the M???? Clearly I am missing something, but what does the M mean?

Will the standard Bobcat stuff fit this old of a model quick attatch plate? It looks the same, but it is not as though I really have much experience looking at them.

We will use this thing for light duty loading of mulch etc. in a landscaping yard. It strikes me as pretty basic and straightforward unit that Bobcat called a mainstay of their line for 10 years. Am I shooting myself in the foot going with that old of a machine. I do consider myself fairly mechanicly inclined.

Anyone have any manuals etc. that they would care to part with cheaply?

Thanks

/ Bobcat 610 #2  
The M *should*, I believe, stand for Melroe when the unit was still with Clark. In effect, the M610 should be (?) the same as the 610.

It is an older loader, but if it was well-maintained, it should be okay. You might want something a bit bigger, however.

/ Bobcat 610 #3  
The Melroe 610 Bobcat along with its predecessors, the 444, 500 and 600, started the skidsteer revolution. This series of models was manufactured for almost 20 years. Most are still operating. My 1963 444 Bobcat, along with being a classic, is still my machine of choice when operating in tight conditions (no offense Kubota L3430 HSTC w/723 FEL sitting next to it in the shed).

The 610 was the latest and most heavy duty of these clutch driven Bobcats manufactured from 1971 to 1981. They are very easy to work on, incredibly agile and could work circles around my Kubota L3430 in most applications. They are 30 HP machines with 1000 lb lift capacity.

If you are looking for a modestly priced skidloader that is easy to work on, the 610 Bobcat is your answer. Make sure the serial number plate (located between and behind your legs as you sit on the machine) says 610 and is a six digit number starting with a "2". Otherwise you could end up with a 600, an older machine with 25 HP VF4D Wisconson engine that is harder to rebuild.

Good luck

OrangeGuy

/ Bobcat 610
OK, I we went ahead and bought it, he dropped the price down to where I thought it should be.

I will be buying the manuals, but I was wondering if someone could help me on a couple of questions now?

He was putting R & O Hyd fluid in it for the lift, would TDH or Universal type Tractor fluid be ok as well? Or does anyone have the spec that it actually should take?

There is a lever on the left that controls the "speed" of operation, it says faster / slower. I am having to push it to faster to make it work the way I think it should, I believe it is controlling the V belt from the motor, but not sure if I am supposed to hold that or really how it works.

Anything I should watch out for? I already stood it on it's tail backing it off the trailer, got my wife a bit excited!

/ Bobcat 610
OK, have spent some time now looking at it and cleaning and picking at it.

Must change the right wheel spindle seal, fairly steady drip. Thoughts or advice? Looks pretty straight forward, will wait on the manual to start though.

The right side frame where the two halves are welded together forming a tank is cracked,,, Oh boy, get to weld up a tank of hyd fluid full of fluid. Now aint that fun! Anyone seen this? Anyone seen better repairs than just welding it back to original? Was thinking of adding on a 1/8" wear plate where the loader hits the frame there, I think that is what actually made it crack.

Got to fix the seat and add a seat belt.... Thinking of adding an adjustable fore and aft type seat so that I have some different positions when the wife or I drive. Anyone know where the original seat belt bolted on?

Some other odds and ends to sort out, battery hold down, cover panel over hydraulics missing, lots of paint work needed, complete service needed, figure out filters etc for it, need to order a toothbar for it, but all in all, I think it will work.

/ Bobcat 610 #6  
Congratulations on your new old Bobcat!

Universal hydraulic fluid will be fine. You increase the travel speed of the Bobcat by pushing and holding the variable speed lever forward until you reach the speed you desire. Then let go of the lever. If you have to continually hold it forward to maintain a higher speed, you will have to replace 3 small o-rings in the variable speed control valve. Not a difficult job if you have a manual to help you along.

The axle seal is a little more difficult. You will have to first take the side cover off the side you want to repair. Then loosen the intermediate and final drive chains (again the manual will help). Then remove the cover off the inside of the axle, loosen the nut that holds the sprocket to the axle (best if oil is removed so you can see it),remove the castelated nut on end of the axle, and then slide the axle out. There will be two seals in the outside axle housing to replace. Also check the surface on the axle itself where the seal rides. If grooves are worn into it, then weld it up and have it machined back to spec or purchase a thin sleeve to slide over the worn grooves to create a new seal surface. Reverse procedure to put back together.

Make sure you block up the machine solidly before sliding under it to reach the inside of the axle. We buried one of my neighbors who didn't.

Good luck!

OrangeGuy

/ Bobcat 610
Thanks! that was what I was needing too hear.

I think it will work out ok as I get the little "bugs" worked out of Bob.

Got the battery done, got a concept on the seat, the speed mechanism seems to work now that it has been exercised some.

Welded up the case half and starting to have a feeling I can get it all going pretty good.

Thanks for the input, I think I will keep everything on TDH and that way we are less likely to put the wrong oil in the wrong place!

/ Bobcat 610
Got all the manuals, kinda of funny, it was cheaper to buy them direct from Bobcat then to get them on e-bay or the other tractor manual type places. Nice manuals by the way.

Got the seat done today, and the seatbelt installed. Both front wheel seals are leaking, but I am going to let them run just a bit as I try and catch up on some other things.

Bobcat of Nashville, was very helpful, had the Hydraulic filter in stock, knowledgeable, quick, curteous and efficient. It was nice to deal with them. Unfortunately that is less the norm than it should be. The parts lady there had no problems that it was an older machine (built in 1980 according to Bobcat) and was very helpful. Said they had most parts on stock. Wisconsin engine parts may be a little more scarce she said, but that they could get me anything I needed. I also have seen several of the motors on E-bay and such as rebuilts etc. so there is some availablitiy.

Now it is just time to run it and put it to work.

/ Bobcat 610 #9  
I'm looking at buying a BL 610 with a backhoe The fellow I'm buying it from said it came from factory with the backhoe would this mean it would have a high flow pump? Thank Dick

/ Bobcat 610 #10  
I'm looking at buying a BL 610 with a backhoe The fellow I'm buying it from said it came from factory with the backhoe would this mean it would have a high flow pump? Thank Dick
NO. There was no such thing as Hig Flow option when the 610 was built. Backhoe only requires 5 - 8 gpm for operation.