New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #1  

UALSUX

I have never owned or operated a Skidsteer but am in the market for one and have been reading as much as I can on this forum and others to learn as much as I can before purchasing one. I am looking at the New Holland L170 and Bobcat S160 or S175 used machines with low hours about 300 to 600 hours. The other Manufacturers are just too far for me to go to.

I will be doing mostly post holes for split rail fences, front loader dirt work,demolition of blacktop and concrete and possibly back hoe work. I live in the mountains of Colorado and mud or manicured lawns are not an issue here. The soil is basically decomposed granite,very hard and lots of Granite rock even in wide open meadows which look "soft" on the surface.

My question is basically which of the 2 machines is better for mechanical reliability because the New Holland is basically a nightmare to pop up the cab if the machine is dead. Dealer told me about 2 hours which I personally thought is absurd. The bobcat opens up in like 5 minutes just 2 nuts to be removed. I plan on doing as much of the required maintenance on my own since I worked on Commercial Jets for 30 years but hate to think of opening up that New Holland Cab.

I would appreciate some info from people that have actually owned and operated a New Holland and how reliable these machines are. I actually like the New Holland machines longer wheel base since stability will be a major factor on the terrain I live by and the vertical lift design. Plus my local Bobcat dealer will not give any kind of a warranty on a used machine which I think is a terrible way to do business. New Holland will give 90 days which is better than nothing.

Please im not looking for the Chevy vs Ford debate just pure actual personal ownership mechanical reliability experiences on both machines.

Thank you in advance

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #2  
A good freind of mine just replaced a NH after 5 years.The only problem was adrive unit.I would go with the NH.I think Bobcat is overrated and the their service usually stinks

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #3  
I have a New Holland LX665 which is essentially the same machine as an LS170. It has been a good machine for us. No need to pop up the cab in 600+ hours. Most everything at the engine is accessible from the rear door and side panels.

Drive both machines to see which one feels more comfortable for you. I see that a important factor.

I preferred the New Holland's side and rear visibility and the dealer support. The New Holland also seemed to be better built and felt more substantial when in the seat. This is just my opinion.

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #4  
GO with the Bobcat. They are absolutely the best engineered, most reliable, highest in resale value, offer the most optional accessories, lead the industry in innovations, easy to service (rarely required), best balanced, great sitelines, and easy to operate.

If Bobcats were overrated, they would be priced significantly higher than their competitors. There not. The market leader always gets snipes about being overrated. Just part of being the skidsteer manufacturer with the highest marketshare (more than all other competitors combined).

A 300 to 600 hour S160 or S175 is an excellent buy. All the features of a brand new machine, and yet, thousands of useable hours left in the machine. And then, if you want to sell it or trade it, it will have great resale value.

I've owned Bobcats for years, there is no skidsteer loader that has a lower "total cost of ownership" and, IMHO, a better value than a Bobcat.

OrangeGuy

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #5  
Support from Bobcat and the local dealer with my machine has been awesome...The dealer called me two weeks ago saying the company identified some issues with the wheel hubs on my Toolcat. They switched them all out free of charge even though I've never had a problem and the machine's well out of warranty.

Bobcat does a great job of support with tracking issues like this...kind of like the AD or service bulletin program in aviation.
If you got poor customer service and bad attitude from your local dealer I would try to find another one (they're everywhere) or call the head office in North Dakota.

Like the screen name by the way...United give you the shaft? (Isn't the airline industry great?)

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions
I would like to thank all of you for your input. Now i'm totally confused lol. I think I will rent both machines and see which I like better.

Yes CRJCaptain I had the pleasure of working for United, the equal opportunity fornicator of the airline industry for 25 years. Plus Eastern, Flying Tigers, Pan Am and Peoples Express. I love airplanes especially German WW2 ones but hate the Industry. Anyway Im out of it and doing my own construction business now. I wish you all the luck in the world with your Aviation carrer. Mine stunk, hope yours is better.

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #7  
I haven't posted anything here because I want to respect your comment about actual maintenance and operation issues. However, regarding your comment about being confused: this will sound stupid, but you're doing the right thing. Very few contractors will outright agree that there is a competitve skid steer out there that is better, so if you ask people for what they think is best, they'll tell you just that. This site is fortunately diverse enough to have people "representing" several manufacturers, so now that you're testing out the machines, good job. If you tell NH that you're looking at Bobcat, however, make sure you tell Bobcat that you're looking at NH as well. It'll make things a bit more fair.

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions
Thank you for your responses. No other owners of New Holland out there? Please, if your a New Holland owner post some comments on you mechanical reliability experiences.

Thanks

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #9  
I am the Service Manager at a farm implement dealership. We sold Bobcat and New Holland side by side for over 15 years and recently discontinued our Bobcat line. Side by side has shown the NH to be a more stable, better built & more relible unit. Run a Bobcat for severial hours and it will beat you around in the cab, New Holland is so much smoother. The Lx665 and LS 170's have been our biggest seller by far to both farmers and commercial busness's.
It only takes maybe 10 minutes to tip the cab and loader on a NH, I did one yesterday. There is very little that the cab and loader need tipped for anyway. On the Bobcat even with the cab tipped it is still hard to work on. I have worked on a lot of them.
Try both machines and make your own choice, I'll bet it is New Holland.

/ New Holland Vs Bobcat Questions #10  
We are running a Jd 7775 which was made by New Holland it has 7000= hours on the ticker and still going strong. Don't get me wrong it is showing signs of wear. I never seen a bobcat the would match the stability of a NH Carring a load half way up. I can pull our loader up a gooseneck trailer with no bucket on to get a different bucket with out filping over where you can't with the others even with a bucket on