Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
A year or so ago, my sister-in-law proudly announced that she now owned a Bobcat ZTR. She felt that she could rest easy about having invested over $6k in a good machine because she knew Bobcat was a quality brand.

I had never heard of Bobcat making mowers, so a little research revealed the company below. I am surprised there has not been trademark infringement litigation. I have never had the heart to tell her about this.

BOB-CAT zero turn mowers & walk-behind mowers

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #2  
Did you read their history? They've been around for almost 70 years, in one form or another.

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #3  
It's not like they are a chinese knock off, they were owned by Textron inc. but now are part of a company owned by JEP management Group CGC inc.

Commercial Grounds Care Equipment

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #4  
Dad used to have one and they are a good mower from a good line of equipment.

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #5  
Yes, I agree, quite confusing for the customer. But, the nice part of this is that both companies have quite good reps. It would be different if one was reputable and the other not.

John M

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #6  
They are almost identical to Bunton and Steiner Zero Turn Mowers (Although I don't believe Steiner is seller these anymore).

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat
shvl73 said:
Did you read their history? They've been around for almost 70 years, in one form or another.

JDPN said:
It's not like they are a chinese knock off, they were owned by Textron inc. but now are part of a company owned by JEP management Group CGC inc.

Commercial Grounds Care Equipment

Nevertheless, BOB-CAT and Bobcat are two different companies. In the past, commercial contractors would know the difference. Now that Bobcat is going into the CUT/SCUT market, some people like my sister-in-law, who have heard of Bobcat, will buy a BOB-CAT while assuming they are buying the brand with which they are familiar.

The intent of my post is to alert consumers to the fact that the two companies have similar names, which can and will cause confusion.

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #8  
Based upon my personal, first-hand experience with both the Bobcat and the Bob-Cat machines, I would have to make the caveat:

BEWARE: Bobcat is NOT Bob-Cat!

The Bobcat 743 was a gutless wonder that stalled out if the rpms dropped the least bit. You could literally kill the engine by doing a quick zero turn. Local dealer service was a joke: rude, arrogant, I-will-fix-no-machine-before-its-time SOBs.

The 20+ year old Ransomes Bob-Cat, after a repower 5 years ago, is still tooling along just fine. No complaints whatsoever.

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #9  
They got me.....I always thought they were the same......

/ Beware: BOB-CAT is not Bobcat #10  
Tom_H said:
Nevertheless, BOB-CAT and Bobcat are two different companies. In the past, commercial contractors would know the difference. Now that Bobcat is going into the CUT/SCUT market, some people like my sister-in-law, who have heard of Bobcat, will buy a BOB-CAT while assuming they are buying the brand with which they are familiar.

The intent of my post is to alert consumers to the fact that the two companies have similar names, which can and will cause confusion.
I see your point.