IH454 VS Bobcat 445

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #1  

onceacop

Silver Member
Tractor
D17 series III, 1758 Massey Ferguson
I am new here. I purchased a 445 w/o the loader at the 0% financing. Yet to be delivered. Traded the 454 in for a $6000 credit. Paying $13000 diff with a brush guard and some filters, rear remotes, and R4 tires. What are your opinions on comparing these 2 tractors for performance. I am very happy with the IH. I just wanted a new tractor, warranty, 4 wheel drive and the hydro. I primarily use this type of tractor for food plots and mowing with a 3 point finishing mower not a brush hog. I have a tandem disc, 8' cultivator, landscape rake, and seeder. Here is my IH. Did I make a bonehead move? Never ran a new tractor in the field before so have no idea how the power is. thanks, like this website alot. Posting this in the bobcat section also. eric

IMG_2941.jpg

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #2  
I don't understand the R4's without the loader....actually, for my uses, I don't want R4's with the loader. In ag uses R1's will work much better IMHO. I have a lot of hills, do some plowing, etc., the first time I tried to use the loader in a muddy field it was a joke. I slip and slid all over the place. My current tractor has R1's and has much much better traction. I just ordered a CT225 and the first thing I wanted was a swap from R4's to R1's.

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445
I mow alot around the house and buildings. Was thinking the R4 would leave less or no damage. I do need the tires for field work and trails. Was hoping the 4 wheel drive would even the score with less aggressive tire. Maybe I can change the order.

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #4  
I would think the ag tires would be a little rough on your yard, at least when it is a little damp. I got the r4's on my 230 and I am very happy with them for what I use the tractor for which is mostly stuff around the yard. My friend came over with his JD, a much bigger tractor than mine, to help me with some stuff and he tore the heck out of my yard with his r1's. That is just my opinion though.

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #5  
I have said this in other threads but my experience with a Kubota 3450 and a 3010, both with r4's, was that they were not a good compromise between ags and turfs. My R4's still tore the yard up when it was not completely dry, granted not as bad as r1's probably would but I don't mow around the house with a tractor anymore. If my primary purpose was mowing and I occasionally did loader work or field mowing, I would go with turfs. If I worked on hard surfaces and needed the extra plies then R4's. If I wanted maximum traction in the field, soft ground or mud then R1's.

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #6  
Mr. onceacop, I have researched this same question and came to the same conclusion as you. I feel the R4's in combination with the ability of 4 wheel drive and the differential lock the R4's will fit my needs. I also do food plots and field work similar to the work you discribe. How ironic!!!

Funny thing being.....I also just ordered a CT445. Supposed to pick it up this week sometime. So, let me ask you.....How did you get talked into buying the Bobcat? Just curious. :)

One more thing....If you don't like the R4's you ordered, I'm sure you have a friend you could give them to and then go buy yourself some ag tires.

WW

Ps. What the heck is the hammer on there for?

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445
WWhunter,

You must not have alot of farming experience. The hammer has many uses. Mainly for beating something into submission. The adjustable links on the 3 point and the rear 3 point lever will make our lives much easier when hooking up. I think my Bobcat will not need a hammer. I am contimplating changing the tire order. Will call them monday. I'm glad I don't have an open can of beer on the IH. You'd see that too.

/ IH454 VS Bobcat 445 #8  
Nope, never farmed a day in my life. :p
What the heck kind of guy are you.....have to hammer stuff into submision?
You drink beer? On the tractor? No wonder that strip has a dogleg in it!!!!