Dealer Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer...

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #1  

AustinTX

Bronze Member
The prices on the Bobcats are just getting too tempting. Because I have no dealer near me, I can price shop anywhere and go pick it up.

But what about service and warranty work? I assume I need to deliver it myself to a dealer?

THere is a Bobcat dealer in town, but they do not sell the tractors. I asked if they could service it and they said they supposed so.... of course this was just some guy who answered the phone, so I'm unsure if I can bank on it.

Should I be comfortable buying a Bobcat in this situation?

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #2  
I am in the same boat. I have land near Oatmeal just south of Bertram. Nearest dealer is in Ingram just west of Kerrville. Next is in Conroe then Abilene. The dealer in Austin said they carried them for a year and did not sell one so they sold their inventory to Abilene. Waco dealer is gone. Good luck on your decision.

Bill

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #3  
I am in the same boat. I have land near Oatmeal just south of Bertram. Nearest dealer is in Ingram just west of Kerrville. Next is in Conroe then Abilene. The dealer in Austin said they carried them for a year and did not sell one so they sold their inventory to Abilene. Waco dealer is gone. Good luck on your decision.

Bill

Might be the reason the price is going down?

:eek:

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #4  
Don't let the distance scare you as most of the fluids etc can be done without a dealer.

I have a CAT and the closest dealer is about 75 Miles away. I needed a hydraulic option added so they picked it up and brought it back for $125.00 each way. Well wroth it to me heck at that price it would have cost me more because my time is worth more than that, let alone the huge tractor trailer and driver plus fuel.

So it may be worth a call to the nearest dealer and see what they would charge for the time you may or may not need a dealer.

Worth a call.

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #5  
My cat dealer is 62 miles away. The will pickup and deliver free for the first 6 months and 100.00 per trip for the rest of the waranty. However, they said the bulk of the warranty work could be done on site. They are used to doing this for the construction firms and have trucks tooled up and ready for service.

/ Questions about buying a Bobcat with no local dealer... #6  
If you can do the fluid changes yourself then that portion of the warranty is taken care of. Just keep accurate records, use the recommended fluids, and keep clean clean clean.

I know what I would do if I were in your situation. I would call the sales manager of every dealer within 250 miles and ask what they are willing to do in writing to help you out. A larger well-equipped dealer may be willing to deliver for free. If they have a large truck set up to do most reair and service, get them to put in writing what the charge would be for a trip. You may never get what you do not ask for, but sometimes when you ask specific questions you can get specific results.

When I purchased my CT335, I asked for and recieved written into the sales contract, set on-site service quotations, maintenance and warranty work that will be performed by me was agreed upon, and if I have a mechanical warranty type problem, the mechanic will contact me so I can discuss the probable problem so he can bring parts with him the first trip. I worked in construction for a long time. Mobile service saves time and money -IF- you choose the right mechanics. Nothing is worse than trying hard to diagnose the problem yourself before telling it to the service manager who in turn does not relay that information to the mechanic that is dispatched. The mechanic shows up and then leaves 30 minutes later saying he will be back tomorrow or the next day because he did not know which parts he could have brought.

The dealer who stands up and delivers is the one you want, regardless of mileage. You definately want s mechanic who has been factory trained and can get your problem fixed quickly as opposed to some guy that says "yeah, I guess we could fix it, its just a tractor right?"

Good luck with your search. Be sure to get what YOU want for your money.