New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #1  

skyline

Tractor
Bobcat CT225, Kubota BX22
Just got my first few hours in on the new machine and I do like it.
However, it doesn't seem very strong with a new 5' Bush Hog 160.
I test drove a 230 and a 5' rankin and thought the same.

I was always a bit concerned with the 19.5 hp spec on the PTO, seemed like a bigger drop (27%) than normal especially compared to others i.e. (botas-27.5 hp gross & 24 hp on PTO). The salesman said some mumbo about tests not being the same. I would have bought the 235 if I could have but just too much extra, they were really pushing the 225.

I see other guys posting here are pulling a 7' brush hog with the CT225. I can't imagine. Is there any truth to the PTO getting stronger after a break in period?

Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• Bobcat CT225 b.jpg
    Bobcat CT225 b.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,045
   / New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #2  
I run a RZ160 with my CT225 with no problems...on steep hills I have to run it in low range to avoid bogging. I don't have any wet heavy grass to mow but I use it on 2' high brush all the time. Set the mower up so its level or lower in the front for less mulching. The tractor engine will gain a little power as it breaks in and that will effect PTO HP.

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #3  
These new tractors just don't do the work of their older counterparts. I took delivery of a CT445 a week ago. My 40 hp IH utility will out work it but I sold that. I am glad I still have a Farmall M for heavy work. My biggest concern buying a new hydrostatic compact was its ability to work. I am glad I got the 45 hp and probably should have went with the CT450. I think there are alot of folks who own a compact tractor and only use it for light work. I need a workhorse. Will be evaluating the Bobcat over the next few months. I expect that it will fall short to some degree. There is no such thing as too much power in a tractor, motorhome, or the handgun caliber you decide to carry.

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #4  
   / New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #5  
Just got my first few hours in on the new machine and I do like it.
However, it doesn't seem very strong with a new 5' Bush Hog 160.
I test drove a 230 and a 5' rankin and thought the same.

I was always a bit concerned with the 19.5 hp spec on the PTO, seemed like a bigger drop (27%) than normal especially compared to others i.e. (botas-27.5 hp gross & 24 hp on PTO). The salesman said some mumbo about tests not being the same. I would have bought the 235 if I could have but just too much extra, they were really pushing the 225.

I see other guys posting here are pulling a 7' brush hog with the CT225. I can't imagine. Is there any truth to the PTO getting stronger after a break in period?

Thanks for any comments.

Most manufactures of Rotary Cutters specify five (5) PTO horsepower per foot width of Rotary Cutter. A seven (7) foot Rotary Cutter would call for 35 PTO horsepower. Bush Hog recommends a tractor with 25-40 PTO horsepower for a SQ160 Bush Hog Rotary Cutter.

http://www.lansdowne-moody.com/bushhog-mowing.htm

Last edited:
   / New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #6  
I was always a bit concerned with the 19.5 hp spec on the PTO, seemed like a bigger drop (27%) than normal especially compared to others i.e. (botas-27.5 hp gross & 24 hp on PTO).

Which Kubota has those specs...?
B2620HST is 26 Engine HP and 19 PTO HP (27% loss).
B2920HST is 29 Engine HP and 21 PTO HP (28% loss).
BX2660HST is 25.5 Engine HP and 19.5 PTO HP (24% loss).
B2630HST is 26 Engine HP and 19.5 PTO HP (25% loss).

Granted these are all HST, gear tractors have more PTO hp on the equivalent tractor but I can't find any specs on Kubota's site for a sub-compact 25hp gear drive tractor. I highly doubt they have a tractor with that little of a loss to the rear PTO but could be wrong...

The Bobcat CT225 is 27 Engine HP and 19.5 PTO HP which is a 27% loss and seems to be right in line with others...
The Kioti equivalent CK27HST is 28 Engine HP and 20.5 PTO HP for a loss of 27% also. The CK27 gear version has 21.7 PTO HP for a loss of 23%, not a huge difference but certainly an extra 1.2HP.

Make sure you are running at full PTO rpms and make sure the air filter is clean, I would also recommend running an additive like Power Service with Cetane booster after you have reached the break-in 50hr mark. The engine will really come alive after 50 and 100 hours, more engine HP means more PTO HP. I also would not be running a mower until after 50 hours since it should not be run at a constant rpm while breaking in. I did loader work and driving around the first 50 hours varying the engine rpms as much as possible.

Is this a gear tractor or HST? If HST, check the fluid level and make sure you use tractor fluid and not straight hydraulic fluid.

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #7  
The 225 is set up to use a 72" rotary cutter on the site. You would think it would handle a 60" without a ton of fuss. I hope so, because I have a The same set-up as you. My tractor is not in yet. How long did you wait for yours? I am on week 3.

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #8  
My 440 seems awefully week on power also, kind of embarassing to tell you the truth. Im half sorry I didnt get the 450 now. I like the tractor for the most part but the serious lack of power really stinks.

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #9  
Tinman is just running his with the emergency brake on......... Just kidding Tinman... I'm not seeing any lack of power from my 440 hooked to a 6 foot brush hog. I'm gonna hook it up to a 6 foot tiller next week. I'll keep you posted on how it does. Wish you all the best!

/ New CT225, Is the PTO HP weaker than normal #10  
Ive been using mine in different applications in the past few weeks. I have a stump bucket ive been working with for a landscaper digging small holes, cuz I dont have my hoe yet, and removing some old bushes and such. My 440 will stall from the lack of power all the time when used not even what I would call hard. The dealer will address the problem as soon as my remotes come in.