Tires AG vs GP tires

/ AG vs GP tires #1  

Parocket

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I ordered my CT230 with GP tires but am reconsidering based on my experience with the GP tires on a CT120.

Anyone want to offer their thoughts? I will not be mowing lawns, mainly moving dirt, mowing fields and using for food plots.

Thanks Geo

/ AG vs GP tires #2  
I swore off R4's after going from my Kubota 3010 to a Kioti 3054. The Kioti had ags and the traction on soft ground and mud is much, much better. I also never use my tractor for mowing. So when I ordered my CT225 I ordered Ag's and was set. Several things changed my mind. One is the warranty. If you buy the GP tires they are Bobcat branded and they are covered. I am keeping the Kioti so I have a tractor with Ag's on it. The GP tires are much heavier duty than ags for loader work and I don't work in soft ground often. Tractors with GP tires resell better IMO for whatever reason, I think it is looks but that is just me. Lastly, if I do decide to mow some with it on dry ground, the GP tires will not tear up the yard.

/ AG vs GP tires #3  
In a nutshell, GP tires are just that, General Purpose. They won't be great at anything, but for the typical person good enough for most without the major damage issues. I went with GP tires because I didnt want to have to avoid driving across my lawn. Turf wasn't really an option as i dont use it to mow the lawn, and i plan on doing a bit of loader work and land clearing.

/ AG vs GP tires #4  
I swore off R4's after going from my Kubota 3010 to a Kioti 3054. The Kioti had ags and the traction on soft ground and mud is much, much better. I also never use my tractor for mowing. So when I ordered my CT225 I ordered Ag's and was set. Several things changed my mind. One is the warranty. If you buy the GP tires they are Bobcat branded and they are covered. I am keeping the Kioti so I have a tractor with Ag's on it. The GP tires are much heavier duty than ags for loader work and I don't work in soft ground often. Tractors with GP tires resell better IMO for whatever reason, I think it is looks but that is just me. Lastly, if I do decide to mow some with it on dry ground, the GP tires will not tear up the yard.
I've heard of AG Turf and R4s but what are Gen Purpose tires?:)

/ AG vs GP tires #6  
I've heard of AG Turf and R4s but what are Gen Purpose tires?:)

Like most I call R1's Ag's, R2's are extra deep Ags, R3's are turfs and R4's are the flat lugged extra ply construction type, seen on backhoes and skid steers and such. Bobcat calls them General Purpose, I call them R4's.

/ AG vs GP tires #7  
I thought seriously about getting Ag tires and still think they are superior in some cases. The GP tires and 4wd will get you any place that you have a reason to go or at least they do around here where we have a lot of clay. The GP tires do look good and are very easy on the turf. They also ride better on blacktop.

/ AG vs GP tires #8  
I ordered my CT230 with GP tires but am reconsidering based on my experience with the GP tires on a CT120.

Bobcat is the first company I have run into that calls R4 industrial tires
"general purpose". I suspect it is because they are a seller of skidsteers,
and that is the default tire type for that kind of machine.

I noticed that Bobcat defaults to their "GP" tires if you do not tell them
what you want. I ordered my CT230 with ags (R1) and saved $150 or
so. In 2005, when I bought my first CK30, the R4 option was a $350
premium!

If you need max traction, you will not be happy with R4s. If you have
lawns and dirt roads, you may not want ags. I have had both kinds....it
is very expensive to change from one to another as wheel sizes are
different.

/ AG vs GP tires #9  
I thought seriously about getting Ag tires and
1* still think Ag tires are superior in some cases.
2*The GP tires and 4wd will get you any place that you have a reason to go or at least they do around here where we have a lot of clay. The GP tires do look good and are very easy on the turf. They also ride better on blacktop.
1*I say they are are superior in most cases.
2*Gp tires turn into racing slicks in mud just like R4s and Industrials do:).

/ AG vs GP tires #10  
1*I say they are are superior in most cases.
2*Gp tires turn into racing slicks in mud just like R4s and Industrials do:).

AG's are NOT superior in most cases (lawns, pavement, construction, loader work). AG's are superior for traction in loose or soft ground (read 'real farming') and that's about it. Percentage wise most of the members here are probably best served with R4's (this is my opinion, not a statement of fact) - to simply say that AG's are better is not true.