Buying Advice ct225 advice on purchasing

/ ct225 advice on purchasing #1  

tmorg1220

Tractor
bobcat ct225
Hey guys, thanks so much for all of your posts and comments, been a big help in deciding which tractor to purchase. Anyway..going to pick up my ct225 next week. my dealer found my tractor at another dealership and pulled it out of inventory in my name on aug 31 so that I could take advantage of the free loader deal. (supposedly) unknown to him and me the tractor that was delivered turned out to be the 25 horse model. (as I understand it I cant wait for a new one because I will loose the free loader deal) I'm nervous that this tractor may not have enough power to do what I want to do. What are your thoughts on the 25 horse model and for those of you who have them, what are their capabilities and or shortcomings? anyone with good experiences? Secondly, before I take possesion of this tractor, Is there anything that I should really closely inspect, problem areas that could be addressed at the dealership before I take delivery. Any and all of your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from Newnan, Georgia

/ ct225 advice on purchasing #2  
Do you have any steep hills? If your usage will be on flat land I wouldn't worry about 2hp.

/ ct225 advice on purchasing #3  
Hey guys, thanks so much for all of your posts and comments, been a big help in deciding which tractor to purchase. Anyway..going to pick up my ct225 next week. my dealer found my tractor at another dealership and pulled it out of inventory in my name on aug 31 so that I could take advantage of the free loader deal. (supposedly) unknown to him and me the tractor that was delivered turned out to be the 25 horse model. (as I understand it I cant wait for a new one because I will loose the free loader deal) I'm nervous that this tractor may not have enough power to do what I want to do. What are your thoughts on the 25 horse model and for those of you who have them, what are their capabilities and or shortcomings? anyone with good experiences? Secondly, before I take possesion of this tractor, Is there anything that I should really closely inspect, problem areas that could be addressed at the dealership before I take delivery. Any and all of your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from Newnan, Georgia
You may want to read some of the posts about the CT225 and concerns by others about it being under powered. If you're not sure, I'd go for more HP.

/ ct225 advice on purchasing
I have 10 acres with a horse barn and a riding arena. I'll be using the machine to move manure and shavings, keep grazing pastures mowed, dragging and raking the riding arena, and moving horse jumps with a set of forks. There are a few projects at my hunting land I will also be doing, planting and maintaining food plots. I dont have many steep hills around any of my property. What do you guys think? will the 25 hp machine be enough to get the job done?

/ ct225 advice on purchasing #5  
It sound like you will be OK, See if you can demo the machine first! The dealer may even bring it out to you for a few days before purchase if they know your serious about buying. If not at least drive it at the dealership and form your own opinion.

I have a CT225 and 5 acres of hills, I mow with a 60" Bush Hog that has a 30hp recomendation on it, I do alot of dirt work and I am very happy with mine. That being said, I use low range alot on uphill mowing and heavy dirt work, Medium range for grading with my box scraper and light laoder work and High range is just for running down the road.

Best of luck with your decision!
Mark

/ ct225 advice on purchasing #6  
tmorg;
Having taken possession of my new "baby" just last week, I feel your pain on the 25 v 27hp "issue".
Firstly, I'd tell you that I'm in the camp of those that advise that for all but a few, very specific, applications you'll never notice the difference.
But....
...I too spent long hours pondering what I would do should mine come through with 25 (after having waited what seemed an eternity for delivery).
Thankfully, I was spared the decision when my dealer checked the engine tags prior to delivery and it was, indeed, the 27.
For me, it came down to two other "issues" which weighed more heavily than the HP - those being 1) paint job, and 2) getting what I ordered.
The evidence is somewhat sketchy but the number of anecdotal reports of subpar paint jobs on the "older" 25 horse units is large enough to be of concern. To be sure, to some degree it's a case of the older units facing more exposure to the weather but I've been told by more than one "reputable"(?) source that about the same time they changed from 25 to 27 they also changed the painting process/materials. Coincidence???
On the second issue of "getting what I paid for/thought I ordered" it gets a little dicier.
No one but you can weigh the relative importance of the various points of view. Does the "principal" outweigh the "deal"? Is it worth the fight to get what you think you are entitled to (and paid for)? Will the 2hp "really" make a difference in your applications? etc, etc.
From most reports, if you have a written quote which specified the 27, dated prior to the cut off date, you will most likely prevail should you elect to persue that tact. OTOH, it could be anywhere from a pleasant experience to out and out war requiring escalation beyond the salesman/dealer level. Worth it? Only you can answer that.
The final consideration for me was my relationship with the salesman and dealership. Despite the extended delay in delivery, now that it's here I have nothing but good to say about mine. BobCat Inc dropped the ball BIG TIME and turned (IMO) what should have been a "home run" entry into the market to a large bucket of sour grapes over the delivery issues. That, however, was/is something beyond the dealer's control so one cannot hold them accountable.
It remains to be seen, after the sting of the delivery issues wears off, if the "sweetness" of having received a good/great deal on what proves to be an excellent piece of equipment will be the sentiment that prevails.
Best of luck on your decision (I don't envy you that<g>), and here's to years of satisfaction with the new machine.