Had her on 3 legs the other day

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #1  

CT230 Fan

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I think I will be getting my tires filled in the near future. The other day, my brother in-law asked if I'd bring my CT230 over to move some lime that he had delivered for his new dog pins. So I was digging in getting heaping buckets full of lime. I was impressed with her lifting capacity. I took a bite that had a bit more on the left side than the right, and had the bucket a little higher than I should have. I was backing up a slight incline at an angle, and my right rear wheel came off the ground. Took me a second to figure out what was happening. Needless to say, I dropped the bucket, dumped the load, and took small loads from that point forward. Normally I have my finish mower or brush hog on the back for counterbalance, but since I was hauling the tractor, I didn't bother taking them.
I talked to the local Rimguard dealer, and I can get my GP rears(15-19.5) filled for $174.00 and add a total of 620lbs to the rear of the tractor. I think this will be a help.
To be honest, I was on the fence about loading the tires before, but I have decided it is the thing to do. I just hope I don't leave a larger or deeper foot print when I am mowing the yard.

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #2  
Maybe only half fill the tires? That would help lower your center of gravity significantly (help with the left-to-right roll prevention, without adding as much weight. But it wouldn't help from picking up the rear as much as fully loaded tires.

I mow with my CK 122 and can't imagine filling the rear tires, it seems to leave light ruts as it is in semi-moist ground.

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #3  
The equivalent Kioti tractor requires 700lbs attached to the 3-pt hitch as proper ballast for it's loader so 620lbs in the tires which is further forward then the 3-pt hitch is still not as much as they feel fit.

I loaded my tires since I had no plans on mowing with it but in your case I would recommend something removable such as a large bucket of concrete or a box blade with weights that you can take off when mowing.

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #4  
I loaded the tires on my 440. It made a huge difference in pushing and pulling. But I was trying to pick up the end of a huge oak tree trunk so I could wrap a chain around it. I picked it up about a foot and one of the rears came right off the ground. And this is with those huge tires filled with water. I was impressed!

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #5  
CT230,

If you mow your yard with it, I would advise against loading your tires. This tractor is already heavy.

I have not done it yet but if you or you know someone that is good with metal you could make a 3pt ballast. I plan on taking a 55 gal drum and filling it with sand and build a metal cage around it to attach to the 3-point.

It will be easy to take off when I am not using it and I can always add or remove sand iff needed. I have not done the calculations yet but I think I should be able to get 600-700lbs out of it.

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #6  
I have loaded tires in my ck30 no problem in dry weather leaving tracks, wet is a different story, but I don't do much in wet weather anyway.

/ Had her on 3 legs the other day #7  
I just loaded My rears on my Antonio Carraro ttr4400 last month. before I could go on a ten degree slope with my hedge mower fully extended and now I have pushed it to 20-25 degrees without any worries. I used enviro freindly plumbing antifreeze. was only $1.45 a gallon and good to 55 below.

Attachments

• flail blade 14cm 018.jpg
    flail blade 14cm 018.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 162