CT230 First Troubles

/ CT230 First Troubles #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I purchased a CT230 back in July 09. Its got 53 hours on it now and been running flawlessly for the 53 hours. Today while doing some light snow work and moving frozen pumpkins into the compost. I smelt hydraulic fluid and upon further investigation found the engine compartment covered in fluid.

Too dark to see where its coming from but I'm assuming its gotta be a fitting or pump under the hood. I'll take a look tomorrow during the daylight and when I can get down and dirty.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
   / CT230 First Troubles
Update. I ran the extension cord out to the shed and hooked up the halogen flood light.

Took the side panels off and fired the CT230 up. I found hyd. oil pouring out of the hyd. oil cooler. It then is being sucked through the radiator and spun all over the engine compartment by the fan. What a mess. The inlet and outlet fittings are tight. I think it is cracked.

Looks like an easy fix that I could do myself but only if the dealer will ship me the part under warranty. Otherwise I will have to find a trailer and drive it an hour to the dealer.

Thats the scoop.

/ CT230 First Troubles #3  
There will be to lines coming up from underneath and going to the cooler make sure the are rubber lines and not steel...
Quite some time ago Kioti had problems with some of the steel lines not flexing enough and that would result in pressure being applied to the cooler and cracking the cooler.
Not saying this is the same problem you have but just a heads up..
The lines should be rubber.

/ CT230 First Troubles
Yup, the lines are rubber. They go into an 180-degree elbow assembly on the top of the cooler. There is no fluid coming from the fittings but instead part way down the face of the cooler. Hence why I suspect the cooler is cracked.

I don't know how or why the cooler would crack. It is cold here (about -12C) today. A lot warmer than the -30C we did have.

The tractor was plugged in all day and the block was nice and warm. Not sure how much of that heat makes it to the hyd. system though.

Just bad luck?

/ CT230 First Troubles #5  
Looks like an easy fix that I could do myself but only if the dealer will ship me the part under warranty.

Will he do that? Hopefully yes.

I may be cracking open my CT230's 3-pt cyl housing to fix a problem.

/ CT230 First Troubles
Well the CT230 is fixed. I swapped out the hyd. oil cooler with the dealer. Saved me from locating a trailer and hauling it to/from the dealer which is over an hour away. They borrowed one off a floor model. Awesome dealer support.

To my surprise the replacement cooler is larger and of different construction. I wonder if they had issues. The old one had flat wide tubes and the new one is just a continous tube. The new one looks beefier.

It only took about 10 minutes to remove the cooler. Had to push aside the air filter. Only had the break the cooler lines and remove two nuts to remove the cooler.

What a mess in the engine compartment with all the oil. I drove into town and got the hot water and soap on it. Hopefully clean enough until summer.

/ CT230 First Troubles #7  
Canada_CT230 Glad to hear that you got the little machine up and running I have been following this since you posted as I just took delivery of one this past week used it for the first time yesterday just patching up the driveway up and taking my shredder out of the bed of the pickup (has been in there since August when I was told I was originally getting it). You had me a little worried reading that POST though glad the dealer took care of it like that on your end. So far it with 4hrs it runs great as far as I can tell.

Would you be able to take a picture of the what your talking about with the new cooler, would like to compare it to the one on mine. Hope it is the latter as I think I am one of the last to recieve it.

/ CT230 First Troubles #8  
Would you be able to take a picture of the what you're talking about with the new cooler, would like to compare it to the one on mine.

I would, too. Let's see pix.

(Glad you got the part from the dealer, CANADA.)

/ CT230 First Troubles
Here is a pic. Its not great but you can identify.

The old cooler is about 6x12 and the new is about 10x12. This is just a guess on the sizes but you can easily identify them. The new also has the loops on the end of the cooler. The old has a stacked vertical tube (kinda like an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen).

The picture shows the end loops. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• DSCF4882.jpg
    DSCF4882.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 673