Cold Starts

/ Cold Starts #1  

Aaron_D

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230, Bobcat 325 Excavator, John Deere X300
For those of you in colder climates, how would you rate your tractors cold starting abilities. I find my CT230 is "cold blooded" in general and when i start it she smokes up the garage almost like shes down a cylinder for a while. I'm starting to think that I may have a glow plug that's bad. I also find that it takes quite a while to get up to heat if not worked hard. Curious on your experiences.

FYI, CT230, 22hrs, Stored in insulated non heated garage.

/ Cold Starts #2  
My CT230 w/ block heater. In Canada. Recently -40F starts with very little smoke when plugged in. Not plugged in will smoke a lot but I don't start w/o being plugged in. She lives in a portable car shelter.

Op temps are low until working. I give it about 10-15 min to warm up and then grab the tail, pull like sh*t, and hang on like f**k. Op temps are below the two dots on the temp gauge. During the summer she is right between the dots.

Hope that helps.

/ Cold Starts #3  
Good/fair.
I agree, black smoke and very rough running at start up is most likely a bad glow plug and it only gets clear by the other cylinders warming it up.

Diesels GENERALLY don't waste much heat, i.e. if there is no load on them they don't burn much fuel and just don't make much heat.
That doesn't mean work them HARD when cold, but get some load on it, e.g. don't duck back in the house for breakfast as soon as it starts, it just won't warm up if you leave it idling.

/ Cold Starts #4  
This is why I got the block heater. I live in Michigan and its generally only in the 20's in the winter, but man is it nice to fire up the tractor and have it pur like a kitten when its cold out.

/ Cold Starts
Op temps are below the two dots on the temp gauge. During the summer she is right between the dots.

Thats exactly where mine operates, thanks.

This is why I got the block heater. I live in Michigan and its generally only in the 20's in the winter, but man is it nice to fire up the tractor and have it pur like a kitten when its cold out.

I've been thinking about installing a block heater just because especially in the winter I'm not on it for hrs at a time. By the time im done cleaning the driveway or moving stuff around, its just finally getting warmed up. I think ill pick one up when i go to the dealer.

/ Cold Starts #6  
Whats the consensus on how long to plug it in before starting? Is it bad to leave it plugged in all the time?

/ Cold Starts #7  
2 Hours when its 10-30 degrees out heats it up enough the glow plug light doesnt come on and it fires right up. If i only have it plugged in for an hour I have to let the glow plugs heat up still before starting it.

Its just wasted electricity to leave it plugged in all the time. Not sure how many watts they use, but Im guessing its 500+

/ Cold Starts #8  
Before you turn the key to the full start position you will find a detent, your glow plug light may or may not light up but this position will allow you to manually glow..then you can glow it for up to 25 secs and that will allow it to start much easier.

/ Cold Starts #9  
Whats the consensus on how long to plug it in before starting? Is it bad to leave it plugged in all the time?

Dunno if its a "consensus" but I'll plug in mine for 30/40 mins before heading out. TYPICALLY what happens is I'll wake up, plug it in right away, take my shower, get ready for work, etc... and then head out and start er up. She starts real easy (JD 3520) and within 2/4 minutes my heater is blowing warm air in the cab.

As for water temp....summer or winter, my Deere runs at "operating" temp. The descriptions of water temps going way down when letting it idle sound like a bad thermostat in my experience.
I know I would HATE it if my tractor ran that cold...cold water = cold air in my cab.... :)

/ Cold Starts #10  
Been pretty cold in Vermont lately. I plug in the heater and it fires right up. I give about 5-10 minutes and run it easy until the hydrolics warm up, then put it to work.

something buzzes really load for 5 minutes after a cold start though. I am almost to 50 hours and will have the dealer check it out when it's in for service, but I am curious if anyone elses does that.