is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid?

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I am finished with my 50 hour service except for changing the hydraulics. I don't think I can pay Bobcat prices. Anyone using anything else? I am considering Sam's Club UTF,Tractor supply UTF, or coastal UTF. They all are about 1\3 the price of the Bobcat product. I keep hearing that it is rebranded Shell. What are you guys using?

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #2  
I used the Bobcat brand hated the cost but really didnt want to chance it. Im not sure what size machine you have but my 440 took quite a bit of fluid for a complete change. I use my machine hard since it doesnt have any power to get out of its own way so I am running the Bobcat brand incase of any warranty issues that may come up.

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #3  
I am also comming up on my 50 service on my CT 235, currently at 38 hrs. Very interested in what everyone is doing.

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #4  
I used Bobcat fluid. Hated the cost and not sure if it was different than off the shelf. Did not have the time to research to find the manufacturer. Winter was coming and 50 hrs came faster than I thought! Next time at 400 hrs might be different. Probably be off warranty too.

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #5  
In my Kioti CK20 I have used Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic and transmission fluid purchased at Walmart in handy 2 gallon containers. The tractor has 440 hours and has run strong.

*Hint for changing hydraulic fluid. Go buy a great big drain pan. The CK-20 has three drain plugs for draining old fluid. You are going to have a mess if you think you are going to drain that fluid in empty milk bottles. In order to accomplish draining the tractor fluids involves rolling around on the floor back side down. It is helpful to me to have some flat slabs or 18" or so cut pieces of something like a 2 X 10. I place one or two iin front of each tire and then drive aboard before servicing. You will be surprised just how much easier it will be to complete servicing the tractor with an extra 1 1/2-3" of clearance.

rimshot

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #6  
I posted a similar post about oil and transmission fluid for my Kioti CK30, which I hear is very close to the BobCats. I also researched all the TBN threads I could find on oil, UTF, etc. I am coming up on a 400 hour service (I bought the tractor used at 300) and knew I needed a source for oil and fluid, and wanted to have some on hand for top off now.

From the posts (primarily on Kioti section of forum) I concluded on and purchased from Napa (good recommendations and stores are easy to find). The products were Napa Premium UTF and Shell Rotella oil. I will look at the bottles I bought and post exact names later. This was based on the experience of others on TBN. I am yet to put a drop of oil in the tractor.

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #7  
The fluids I have purchased from Napa:

Napa Premium Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid

Shell Rotella T Heavy Duty Motor Oil SAE 15W-40

I am assuming some modifications may have to be made based on location

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #8  
I changed mine right before winter and I did not go with Bobcat oil. It was going to cost something outrageous like $60/2 gal and my 230 hold 8. something. There was no way I was going to pay that much for fluid. I did some searching and I too came across a few things that said it was rebranded shell.

I was not able to find anywhere reasonably close that carried Shell so I call a local oil company and they told me what their equivelant was. He could have been just trying to make a sale but he said all of those oils are the same and showed me the specs between the two, his brand and shell. They were pretty much the same.

I have not been able to tell any difference in performance so far.

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid? #9  
By the way, I have seen five gallon pails of Shell Rotella branded tractor hydraulic fluid on the shelf at our local Walmart for around $50.00. Their store brand called "Super Tech" was about $10 a bucket cheaper. The local TSC store also carries Shell in the 5 gallon pail as well as their Taveler brand but it was slightly higher as I recall.

rimshot

/ is everyone using Bobcat hydraulic fluid?
By the way, I have seen five gallon pails of Shell Rotella branded tractor hydraulic fluid on the shelf at our local Walmart for around $50.00. Their store brand called "Super Tech" was about $10 a bucket cheaper. The local TSC store also carries Shell in the 5 gallon pail as well as their Taveler brand but it was slightly higher as I recall.

rimshot

I have heard that Coastal, Travelers and Super Tech are from a company called Warren Petroleum/automotive. It makes me suspect that TSC/Travlers is really Shell.