Oil & Fuel bobcats spendy hyd fluid

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #11  
I have had a Bobcat CT235 compact tractor for about 1-1/2 months. I'm almost at the 50hr maintenance for it. We have a Kubota/Bobcat dealer where I live, but they do not deal in Bobcat compact tractors, just Bobcat skidsteers and the like. They told me they use the Kubota UDT oil in both Kubota and Bobcat. Does anyone know if I can use the Kabota UDT in my CT235? I live in Spring Creek, Nevada and bought my tractor in Twin Falls, Idaho as it was the nearest dealer. The dealer told me not to use anything but the Bobcat Hyd/trans/diff oil. I need to change my hyd/trans/diff oil asap so I can get going again, but am afraid to put in the Kubota UDT oil for fear it will damage something and void the warranty. Help!
Thanks,
Jim

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #12  
I have had a Bobcat CT235 compact tractor for about 1-1/2 months. I'm almost at the 50hr maintenance for it. We have a Kubota/Bobcat dealer where I live, but they do not deal in Bobcat compact tractors, just Bobcat skidsteers and the like. They told me they use the Kubota UDT oil in both Kubota and Bobcat. Does anyone know if I can use the Kabota UDT in my CT235? I live in Spring Creek, Nevada and bought my tractor in Twin Falls, Idaho as it was the nearest dealer. The dealer told me not to use anything but the Bobcat Hyd/trans/diff oil. I need to change my hyd/trans/diff oil asap so I can get going again, but am afraid to put in the Kubota UDT oil for fear it will damage something and void the warranty. Help!
Thanks,
Jim
For my CT235, I used the Super-Tech Heavy Duty Universal Tractor/Hydro Trans fluid that is sold at Wal-Mart when I changed mine (10gal $90 bucks). The specs said it's OK to use as a replacement for Kubota UDT (I have a Bota). It's working fine in my Bobcat CT235. I can't see why UDT wouldn't work in yours... unless you're worried they will come back at you if you have a warranty issue.
When it comes time to replace the Bota fluid, I'll use the same stuff.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #13  
For my CT235, I used the Super-Tech Heavy Duty Universal Tractor/Hydro Trans fluid that is sold at Wal-Mart when I changed mine (10gal $90 bucks). The specs said it's OK to use as a replacement for Kubota UDT (I have a Bota). It's working fine in my Bobcat CT235. I can't see why UDT wouldn't work in yours... unless you're worried they will come back at you if you have a warranty issue.
When it comes time to replace the Bota fluid, I'll use the same stuff.

Thanks gumshu for this information. I did read that the use of any but approved Bobcat fluids will void the warranty, so I think I will use the Bobcat hydro/trans fluid until it goes out of warranty then switch over to the Super-Tech heavy Duty Universal Tractor/Hydro Trans fluid you get at Wal-Mart. The Bobcat fluid is $51 for a 2.5 gal jug and that is very expensive. However, if I did need warranty work (I hope I won't ! ) and found they would not honor it because I had a different fluid, I could spend a lot more money.
I love my CT235 so far although a little hard to shift to different gears, but I'm getting use to that. How long have you had yours and have you had any problems with it?
Jim

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #14  
Thanks gumshu for this information. I did read that the use of any but approved Bobcat fluids will void the warranty, so I think I will use the Bobcat hydro/trans fluid until it goes out of warranty then switch over to the Super-Tech heavy Duty Universal Tractor/Hydro Trans fluid you get at Wal-Mart. The Bobcat fluid is $51 for a 2.5 gal jug and that is very expensive. However, if I did need warranty work (I hope I won't ! ) and found they would not honor it because I had a different fluid, I could spend a lot more money.
I love my CT235 so far although a little hard to shift to different gears, but I'm getting use to that. How long have you had yours and have you had any problems with it?
Jim
Hi Jaford1... I've had mine since 2009. I bought it when they were having a special promotion. The only thing that went wrong... battery acid leaked in the engine compartment. The fan swished it around, When I discovered the problem, it had eaten away at the paint around the front grill and battery area. Some factory paint solved that along with a Diehard sealed battery. I've also noticed that it will occasionally slip out of gear. This can be problematic when I'm working on my hillside. However, it could just be that it wasn't properly seated in gear after shifting.

I've read posts where some owners have experienced hydraulic fluid leaks in the hydraulic oil coolers at about 150hrs. According to them, Bobcat (Kioti) has redesigned the coolers. Last time I checked, the original coolers were being sold on ebay for about $50. bucks new. Good luck.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #15  
Hi Jaford1... I've had mine since 2009. I bought it when they were having a special promotion. The only thing that went wrong... battery acid leaked in the engine compartment. The fan swished it around, When I discovered the problem, it had eaten away at the paint around the front grill and battery area. Some factory paint solved that along with a Diehard sealed battery. I've also noticed that it will occasionally slip out of gear. This can be problematic when I'm working on my hillside. However, it could just be that it wasn't properly seated in gear after shifting.

I've read posts where some owners have experienced hydraulic fluid leaks in the hydraulic oil coolers at about 150hrs. According to them, Bobcat (Kioti) has redesigned the coolers. Last time I checked, the original coolers were being sold on ebay for about $50. bucks new. Good luck.

Hi gumshu,
Thanks for the information. I bought mine about 1-1/2 months ago on a special as well. Hopefully I have one of the redesigned oil coolers. I have not had any problem with mine slipping out of gear, just a little hard getting it into gear sometimes. I'll watch the battery, so far no problem with any acid leakage. I have had problems with greasing on both the tractor and the front end loader with some of the fittings being very hard to get grease into. I have pushed in on the spring loaded balls to make sure they were not froze, but this has not helped with some of them. I don't know exactly why this is.
Have a great day,
Jim

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #16  
Hey gumshu, I also have an 09 Bobcat 235 and have similar problems...my oil cooler leaks(have to spray wash it after 5-10 hours) Did you say Bobcat has changed them and is it a warranty issue. If not I suppose I should just buy one and install it as I'm nearing my 400 hours service. I have also had nothing but problems with the loader hydraulic hoses leaking, had to replace all four...now the female receiver hydraulic couplers(under the tractor) are leaking...very poor design to have them in one of the dirtiest places on a tractor. I also had the battery acid issue...guess I'll get a sealed one, sounds like that fixed your problem . Shifting is a bit sticky, but workable. Now I need to replace the hydro fluid and you're saying there is other fluid that will work for less money? Guess I'll wait for the 400 hour change as I'm only down between 'full' and 'add'. Great forum...nice to know the problems I'm having aren't just with my tractor. Great unit even with the little problems. Only thing else I find had to find and the belly mower blades for the 66" cutting deck!

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #17  
Hi gumshu,
I have not had any problem with mine slipping out of gear, just a little hard getting it into gear sometimes.

Here are some things that work for me:

If the hydraulic fluid is cold, it's going to be impossible to shift gears no matter what, so I always try to park the machine in the gear I'm going to want next time I start it--usually M.

Sometimes, rolling the steering wheel from full-left to full-right lock and back again while gently applying pressure on the shift lever will relieve the stress in the drivetrain that is preventing me from shifting.

If I have been working in 4WD, raising the front end off the ground with the FEL and tapping the HST pedal forward slightly will relieve the stress in the drivetrain that is preventing me from shifting.

If I'm trying to shift with the engine at high RPM (say, 2k plus), I can sometimes relieve the pressure by dropping the RPMs to just above idle. As soon as the RPMs drop, I can shift.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #18  
I think it is against the law to require the special Bobcat fluid. I went with a phillips 66 fluid that my jobber had. It worked fine and my dealer has never questioned it. I had a hydraulic leak when I first got the tractor, so it went to the shop a few times. I now have 500 hours on it and have started using Traveler(TS Brand). It also works fine. I noticed they had another brand that was on sale for $35 for 5 gal. Lot of difference between that and Bobcat fluid.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #19  
Hi joshuabardwell,
Thanks for the information, I found if I just work the forward/reverse pedal a couple of times it will go into gear, I'll give your suggestions a try also.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #20  
Hi Messmaker,
What is the exact name of the Phillips 66 fluid your jobber had so I can enter it into my information file about this. Where do you get the Traveler TS brand you mentioned and is that the name on the container? I have finished with my 50hr maintenance and did use the Bobcat Hyd/Trans/Diff fluid. However, I don't want to pay their price when I get to my 400hr service if I can avoid it.
I also am now using Rotella synthetic T6, 5W-40 in the engine. I do wish I could find replacement numbers for both the engine oil filter and the bobcat hydraulic and differential filters, but thus far no luck. If anyone knows what they are for a CT235 Bobcat I would appreciate the information.
Thanks,
Jim