Canopy 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #1  

OKCMoparGuy

Tractor
CT230
Hey Guys,

Looking to buy soon. I'll be doing some dirt work to my property which includes a 150' x 4' tall retaining wall and a lot of leveling (BB work). When I'm not playing in the dirt the tractor is going to be used to finish mow around 2 acres. My property is moderately hilly in just a few areas, grass is bermuda and not many trees.

My concern is that with a hydro trans the CT230's 22hp at the PTO won't be suffecient to pull a 6' RFM (Land Pride, Woods or Rhino). I'm pretty good at mowing the every week but with work/travel/kids/weather sometimes it goes 2 weeks. My old Deere 430's 20hp yanmar never bogged down with it's 60" shaft drive MMM. I'm selling her to help pay for the new Bobcat though (can't afford both).

What do you think, should I buck up for the CT235 just to be sure or does the CT230 handle it just fine. I think both tractors would be fine with the dirt work.

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235
Forgot to mention that my land has about 1' of good topsoil and the rest is almost solid clay. I think the extra weight of either machine w/ filled rear tires should dig fairly efficiently but maybe I'm wrong. Not looking for an excuse to get the CT235, just want to get the right tractor. I usually keep my equipment for the long haul.

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #3  
I don't know about a RFM but I use a 6' finish mower on my 230 and it has no problems at all with it. My ground is pretty flat but I can mow in high gear if I want.

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #4  
I have a CT230, and use a 6' landpride rear finish mower. It works great. Either tractor would be sufficient, but if the dealer has both, and there's only a few hundred dollars difference, it wouldn't hurt to opt for the 235 just for the extra hp. Again, I have great luck w. my 230 and haven't had any performance issues, but with hp, it doesn't hurt to have more than you need.

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #5  
I'll ditto CT230 Fan. I have a CT225 with a 6' Douglas RFM. Power has NEVER been a problem with the 27 hp on the mower, but if it isn't much more money, I guess I'd recommend going up on HP. In 45+ years on tractors, I can't remember EVER thinking "I wish this tractor had less power"

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #6  
Hey Guys,

Looking to buy soon. I'll be doing some dirt work to my property which includes a 150' x 4' tall retaining wall and a lot of leveling (BB work). When I'm not playing in the dirt the tractor is going to be used to finish mow around 2 acres. My property is moderately hilly in just a few areas, grass is bermuda and not many trees.

My concern is that with a hydro trans the CT230's 22hp at the PTO won't be suffecient to pull a 6' RFM (Land Pride, Woods or Rhino). I'm pretty good at mowing the every week but with work/travel/kids/weather sometimes it goes 2 weeks. My old Deere 430's 20hp yanmar never bogged down with it's 60" shaft drive MMM. I'm selling her to help pay for the new Bobcat though (can't afford both).

What do you think, should I buck up for the CT235 just to be sure or does the CT230 handle it just fine. I think both tractors would be fine with the dirt work.
I'd check the PTO HP requirements for the RFM you plan to buy

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #7  
I just bought a 235 Monday, and been cleaning up my area that I am going to put up retaining walls, they have been there 10 years and alot of the clay has sluffed off donwhill. I have cleaned up what I am guessing is about 20,000 pounds of clay in 2 hours and it dug it out great with the FEL It just doesnt seem to have a great deal of break out power, so I have to back up a little to let the FEL start to roll or lift

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235
Sounds like fun lilranch, can't wait for my turn. Did you get the BC branded BB?......60" or 66"? Does the CT235 pull the blade well with the rippers down?

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #9  
lilRanch2001,
What did you end up getting your tractor for? If you took free loader do they still offer any type of financing?

/ 6' RFM - CT230 or CT235 #10  
Good call. I think the 235 would have the best balance of weight and power. I am sure you will like it a lot.