CT120 loader bucket problem

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #1  

markwmo

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE, MF 491, MF 261
I took the front end loader off of my CT120 a while back and ever since I put it back on the bucket doesn't stay in position. It gradually drifts down as if the cylinder is leaking down. Any ideas what might be going on?

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #2  
Does it only leak down while the engine in running? Try reversing the two lines for the curl function. If the bucket still leaks down, it is a leak in the cylinder. If the bucket creeps *up* then it is a leak in your valve. Maybe the joystick isn't truly centered and is allowing a small amount of fluid to hit that cylinder?

-rus-

/ CT120 loader bucket problem
I need to check to make sure but I think it does it with engine off too. Also it doesn't do it when the bucket is curled all the way back. The problem definitely started after removing/re-attaching. It's the first and only time I've ever had it off so I may have done something incorrectly although everything works normally except for the drift.

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #4  
set the bucket then disconnect the quick connects, if it still falls, its a problem with a line or cylinder. But also try what rus recommended, try and swap the quick connects at the valve from the curl function to lift and see if your problem still exists. Could be a piece of dirt, teflon tape, etc holding your valve open.

I did disconnect the two quick disconnects for the bucket and it still won't stay in position. There were no leaks back through the male quick disconnects so would that indicate a cylinder problem? Would both of them have to be leaking for it not to hold position or is there something in the crossover line that could cause it? Thanks for the help!

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #6  
If only one cylinder is leaking, the way these are plumbed will allow fluid to flow to the other cylinder. I'm not sure you can isolate it to a single cylinder without disconnecting and plugging some lines :-/ Any chance this tractor is still under warranty?

-rus-

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #7  
First i would check all the fittings to make sure there snug. You could buy a hydraulic hose and simply by-pass 1 cylinder at a time, surplus center has them for under 10 bucks. My 7tl loader has all jic -6 fittings with 3/8" hose.

Did you visually inspect the cylinder rods for damage? Possibly a small ding, scratch, or even slag from welding/grinding when the loader was off.

After disconnecting, re-connecting, reversing, etc. the hoses to try and isolate the problem the bucket now seems to stay in position. I left the loader in the raised position with the bucket flat for at least an hour and it never moved. Not sure what was going on, could air in the system have caused it? Anyway thanks for the tips. Rus_geek, yes it is still under warranty. That was going to be my next step if I didn't get it resolved.

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #9  
Try to cycle your cylinders to the end a couple of time there may be a little air in one of the cylinders.
Make sure you run them to the end and hold it for a second or so. Do this in all direction.

/ CT120 loader bucket problem #10  
+1 on air in the system. Be sure to cycle your cylinders like Wallace suggests (both the curl cylinders and loader boom cylinders). Cycle the curl cylinders 3 times and the boom from the ground to max lift 3 times.

I've experienced "slop" and "spungy" behavior from air in the loader hydraulics. Air can enter the system from moving the cylinders by forces other than the hydraulic system (parking with the loader frame and/or bucket not on the ground and a load in the bucket or even just gravity causing the cyinders to leak down, etc.).