Bobcat SST???

/ Bobcat SST??? #1  

tinman955

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Bobcat CT450 Cab Hoe
Does anyone have a Bobcat SST? I have been thinking about getting rid of my 440 hydro for a 450 SST. Never really ran one much. How does Bobcats SST actually work? It seems like its been discussed several times on other brands but have not seen any info on Bobcats version or maybe its the same as other brands.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

/ Bobcat SST??? #2  
It should be the same as the Kioti DK se models.
It is a syncronized machanical shuttle. The shuttle lever is in the left side of the steering column for forward/reversing (You do need to use the clutch to shift).
You should have 4 gears in each range. You can shift through all the gears on the go, forward or reverse. But you do need to stop to change ranges ( low/medium/high).
Whatever gear you are in going forward, that is the gear you will be in when you reverse with the shuttle lever. Example- if you are in medium range second gear going forward and you clutch and flip the shuttle lever to reverse you will be second gear/medium range going backwards.
I have this type transmission on my tractor. I really like it, works nice.

/ Bobcat SST???
Vince, thanks for the info. I went and drove a bunch of bobcats last week but really only took the SST around the building real quick for a power check and it deff puts way more usable power to the ground. Im tired of the hydro blues, Lack of power, so am considering a SST. My only concern is slow back and forth work I do and up close precison type loader work. But im thinking with some seat time I should be able to get good with the SST.

/ Bobcat SST???
Vince do you have to be stopped and use the clutch to change direction forward-reverse?

/ Bobcat SST??? #5  
Vince do you have to be stopped and use the clutch to change direction forward-reverse?
Its a sycronized shuttle, so you can forward/reverse without coming to a complete stop. (I usually stop out of habit and to save wear on the sycronizers).
You do have to use the clutch to foward/reverse.

Some brands like JD, Kubota, MF Etc. offer power shift or glideshift gear transmissions that can be forward/reversed without clutching.

/ Bobcat SST???
Ok I gotcha thanks again.

/ Bobcat SST??? #7  
One more thing about the shuttle shift trannies. At least on my CK, reverse speed is 85% of forward speed of the same gear/range. I do like this feature.

I've spent a lot of time doing loader worker and many times I wish I had HST. Then other times I'm glad I got the gear.

/ Bobcat SST???
I know what you mean, I do alot of different things with my tractor, always something different from day to day season to season. I do about 150 hrs a year of tractor work and ive been running all the different tasks through my head to see if the shuttle will work for me. Again the only reason for switching is the power issues.

I am goin to go and run the SST some more this week before I make my mind up.

Thanks

/ Bobcat SST??? #9  
That stinks your looking into a new machine already. My hydro has no issues, no lack of power i almost have 60 hours already. I would if i were you contact bobcat directly. I was leary of going with the 440 over the 450 after reading your posts but there was some big savings as a dealer connected with mine had just gotten it in. Also its one of there best selling models as well from what i was told anyways. I run a 72 inch hog of mine with no power problems and the 84 inch rfm i only used once but no power issues what so ever and that was in pretty tall grass about knee high with alot of last falls dead leaves i was grinding up. I also pull a sub soiler which works fine, along with the box blade. I have a business and use the machine commercially.

/ Bobcat SST??? #10  
My first tractor was a Kubota Glide Shift. It is basically the same as a synchronized shuttle except it has a hydraulic auto clutch. You shift gears on the go and you didn't even have to stop for range changes, though, it took a little longer lag time as it auto changed ranges. I loved it in open country, brush cutting fields and such but it was not as good in my opinion as a regular gear drive synchro/shuttle shift. To work in tight spots you still have to use the clutch to control the tractor. And, when you shuttle into reverse, you are going to be going surprising quicker in reverse than you might expect. I have this shuttle issue with all the shuttle drives I have owned. Speed control in forward and reverse is unmatched by the HST tranny. So, we both know about Bobcats poor HST performance, so if you need a lot of back and forth or work in tight places then it may be worth slugging it out. If not and you will be working in more open areas or transporting material, etc. the shuttles work well.