First issue with CT230

/ First issue with CT230 #1  

galaxie428

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I was using my CT230 the last couple of nights to haul firewood and push brush out of the way. It was running fine, I moved it so I could get the truck and when I got back to it, it wouldn't start. The engine is turning over but that is it. My fuel gauge said 1/4 tank but when I opened the cap to look, I didn't see anything in there. Maybe it goes down on the oposite side where I can't see, I don't know.

So, I took the truck home to get some fuel and I fill it up and still nothing. Any ideas on what I need to check to find out why it won't start?

If I can't get it started, I am not sure how I am going to get it home since the FEL is on the ground and so is the rear ballast although I guess I can just unhook it. But, how do I get the FEL up off the ground so I can winch it onto a trailer?

Forgive my ignorance if this is a simple question but this is my first tractor and I don't know that much about them other than how to use them.

Thanks,
Jason

/ First issue with CT230 #2  
thats my only concern about these tractors, I dont know chit from shinola about these deisel engines, I could fix the old 8N in my sleep

:confused2:

/ First issue with CT230 #3  
Do you have to prime the sytem with the diesel? I don't have the manual here to look it up.

/ First issue with CT230 #4  
If you ran it dry you will have to reprime the injectors. One way to do this is to crack each line open with a wrench....but, my other Kioti has a valve on the side of the injector line to prime them with. If I am not mistaken I saw this same valve on my CT225 as it is basically the same engine as my LK3054. Forgive me but I only did this once so I don't remember the exact steps but I posted it in the Kioti forum at the time. I am going to search for a link and see if I can find it.

Update: here's the link

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/58122-bleed-injectors.html

You open the valve and it will bleed the air out of the lines. Once it starts close it back up.

/ First issue with CT230 #5  
I have a Kioti CK30hst, which should be the twin of yours. If Bobcat didn't change anything from Kioti's design, you need to look at the fuel filter on the right side of the engine if you ran it out of fuel. There's a small lever on the metal part of the fuel filter unit. The lever has three positions. Left, down, and right. Mine is marked run, off, and air. I can look at mine to make sure of the correct positions but mine is marked and I hope yours is too. You need to turn the lever to the air position while you crank it over to bleed air out of the system. Once it's running, you can put it back to run. If you ever change the fuel filter, you'll need to do the same thing to get the air out.

bbse, we must have posted at the same time. I forgot about that other post long ago.

I used to have an 8n and not much there to worry about. Diesels are a little different but after a little time, you'll feel comfortable with it.

Last edited:
   / First issue with CT230 #6  
I remember that now from the manual. I don't know if my CT225 has that bleeder screw or not, I will look tomorrow but when I changed the fuel filter I remember the AIR position. That should work. I hope that is the problem.

/ First issue with CT230
Thanks guys, I will try that. I did flip the switch over to air and cranked it a little but I didn't try it too many times because i was not real sure what it was for.

I don't know that I ran it dry since my gauge was not on empty but like I said, if the tank is completely flat on the bottom, it looked dry. The tank my very well have a lower part on the opposite side that I couldn't see.

/ First issue with CT230
Well unfortunately, all the easy fixes you guys mentioned did not fix the starting issue. I called my BC dealer and he had me try pretty much the same things you guys mentioned. He said I am still under warranty so I guess I will have to make a trip up there today to drop my tractor off.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

/ First issue with CT230 #10  
Well unfortunately, all the easy fixes you guys mentioned did not fix the starting issue. I called my BC dealer and he had me try pretty much the same things you guys mentioned. He said I am still under warranty so I guess I will have to make a trip up there today to drop my tractor off.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

To bad the easy fix didn't work. Have faith it's something minor. I have around 400 hours with no problems and others have more. If the lines from the injector pump to each injector are empty, then you have to crack open each line at the injector and turn it over until diesel runs out. The air in the lines will compress before the injector opens and won't bleed out the air. This is also a way to make sure diesel is getting to the injectors and ruling out a fuel problem.