Hydro fluid change

/ Hydro fluid change #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I am getting around to finishing the 50 hour service. I have done it in steps. changing the hydro and filters is all that is left. Any tip? Anything to watch out for? What did you use to drain all that fluid in?

/ Hydro fluid change #2  
I used one of those flat closed drain pan containers with the spout you see in auto parts stores. I think my tractor holds 4 gallons so I had to swap out the container to a small drain pan because the big one was only 14 quarts. I used the same stuff in the front end so I ended up with a 5 gallon container to pour all the old oil into from both drain pans. I guess look to see if you have a screen to clean in your manual and how many drain plugs to pull. It's pretty messy don't forget the rags.:)

/ Hydro fluid change #3  
I think my hydro filters were welded on. I like to never got them broke lose. But, the oil filter was the same way.

Like Bstrom said, have lots of rags ready.

Also, I found that the refill was the worse part. I bought my fluid in 5 gallon buckets and it was not easy holding them up to pour them in the spout they go in. It might be worth it to pour some in a two gal container and do it that way. I did not have a funnel that fit very well either so I was doing a two person job with one person which made it harder.

Good luck. What brand of fluid did you go with?

/ Hydro fluid change #4  
I used a under the bed storage box.

/ Hydro fluid change
I think my hydro filters were welded on. I like to never got them broke lose. But, the oil filter was the same way.

Like Bstrom said, have lots of rags ready.

Also, I found that the refill was the worse part. I bought my fluid in 5 gallon buckets and it was not easy holding them up to pour them in the spout they go in. It might be worth it to pour some in a two gal container and do it that way. I did not have a funnel that fit very well either so I was doing a two person job with one person which made it harder.

Good luck. What brand of fluid did you go with?

I went with Phillips Conico Powertran tractor fluid. All the local rental places use it on all their equipment. It was about $35 for 5 gallons.

/ Hydro fluid change #6  
I used an offset funnel I got at the dealer which helped a lot with pouring the 5 gallon bucket of new fluid into the little hole on the hydraulic unit. Plus it's orange, maybe you could get a white one, that's important.:) I think the funnels are a ripoff but it works pretty well on my engine too so I bit the bullet.

/ Hydro fluid change
Done! Not too bad. Used a motar mixing tub from Lowes to catch the fluid. Worked perfect. Thanks for all the help.

The old fluid looked perfect. That can't be a bad sign.

/ Hydro fluid change #8  
The old fluid looked perfect. That can't be a bad sign.

At the 50hr change you would expect to see some metal bits on the magnetic drain plug. That is par for the course.

By the way, having done this on my tractor too (lifting the 5gallon HST buckets), I subsequently purchased a pretty cheap hand pump designed exactly for moving oil from 5 gallon buckets. It fits/screws right into the open port so you leave the bucket on the ground. I don't recall if I got it from Northern Tool, Agri Supply or maybe even HF but I'll use it next time and save my back.

/ Hydro fluid change
I have one of those and did not use it. Not feeling real smart right now.

/ Hydro fluid change #10  
I have one of those and did not use it. Not feeling real smart right now.

Been there, done that. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. I particularly hate the feeling when I decide I need a tool, purchase it and then discover I had already bought it previously but forgotten about it.