Engine block heater?

/ Engine block heater? #1  

tinman955

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Bobcat CT450 Cab Hoe
Does anyone here have an engine block heater? If so how long does it need to be plugged in for it to work correctly? Can one leave it plugged in all the time when cold ofcourse.

/ Engine block heater? #2  
The length of time sorta depends on ambient temperature, motor size, heater wattage and wind if it is sitting outside.

For the small < 40 HP. one to two hours should suffice.

They can be left plugged in continuously but that is a waste of money. One can use timers if there are fixed use hours.:D

/ Engine block heater?
Thanks for the info, I used a timer on my trucks years ago.

/ Engine block heater? #4  
I have one on my CT230. Here in Manitoba, Canada we can get down to -40F or colder. My machine is inside one of those silver temp garage kits.

I like to plug it in at least 2-3 hours prior to use but will go 1 hour if I have to. Keeping the wind off it really helps.

Longer than that is a waste of electricity.

/ Engine block heater? #5  
When I was a boy we referred to tuques as block heaters....

/ Engine block heater? #6  
I have one on my CT230 and use it when ever the temp is below 32. One hour will make it start easy, but 2 hours will make it start better than it starts when the temp is 50 out.

I really wanted it because I got my tractor in November and didn't want the first 50 hours to all be started in cold weather. Probably doesn't matter, but for 50 bucks installed, it was worth it.

/ Engine block heater? #7  
It beats the heck out of a rescue mission with tarps and a kerosene heater...

/ Engine block heater? #8  
I have a Kioti CK30hst and have put it through five Winters. When it gets below 32'F, I run the glow plugs through two cycles and it never fails to start. The coldest start I can remember was 0'F. My tractor hides in an unheated garage. I do give it about a 10-15 minute warm-up period before putting it to work. If I lived in Manitoba though, I'd definately have one.

/ Engine block heater? #9  
Two or three hours for 30hp seems to work well,if longer eight plus hours you just might have mice etc. for guest.

/ Engine block heater? #10  
What type of engine heaters are you guys talking about. In line, magnetic, dipstick etc. etc.???