Break In

/ Break In #1  

SABULA FARMER

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335SST
Just throwing this out there...what has everyone been doing to break in their new tractor?
I know there are a few different opinions, run it like you stole it - OR- vary the rpms, put it through a few heat cycles and enjoy?
I looked in the manual but I didnt find anything on it, maybe I over looked it?
Thanks in advance.

/ Break In #2  
Congrats. I did all the things you mention well maybe not the run it like i stole part . Just make sure and check all fluilds and lug nuts . other wise enjoy and keep you eyes, ears and knose open should have no trouble i am at 16 hrs on mine and i still figure i am breaking it in.

/ Break In #3  
I have not done anything special with mine. I ran it from day one like I am still running it. I maintain it at regular intervals as specified in the maintainence schedule.

/ Break In
Thanks fellas. I figured that I should run it like it was ment to be ran. I did take it to my upper field, with my 5' hog and began mowing. Brought it to PTO speed and let her fly. It is a mowing machine, ran like there was nothing behind it. I feel I made a good choice as far as tractor size. I am still trying to get used to the shuttle shift, but I think it will be just fine:thumbsup:

/ Break In #5  
Wallace advised me to vary the RPMs for the first 100 hours or so. Under varying uses this is pretty much normal usage. More so with the SST's, I think.

Yeah, It took some getting use to shifting with my left hand, and that SS lever sure is stiff when new.

/ Break In #6  
I would say the biggest thing don't lug down the motor.
Get the feel of tractor..listen/feel,check often nuts bolts fluids etc. just in case..heck just set in the seat w/engine off look around.

/ Break In
Wow a hundred hrs? That is some time...I know on my old tractor I tried to take it easy, never even ran it at PTO speed for at least 50hrs, but I was thinking that these new machines with the tighter tolerances should be broke in in the first 15 minutes of run time. I know that the old tractors, pre 80's, needed many hours on the engine to polish parts so they could mate properly.
Today I put 5 hrs on it brush hogging, had it at PTO speed for the duration, lol....all seems ok so far, did I mention that its a sweet machine?
Here are some pics
IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Last edited:
   / Break In #8  
I put the first hundred hours on in 3 months
only been able to put 6 hours on in the last month :confused::ashamed:

/ Break In
I put the first hundred hours on in 3 months
only been able to put 6 hours on in the last month :confused::ashamed:

I may get some more seat time tomorrow. It rained tonight and I am thinking tomorrow should be a good day to put in my deer plots...? (also depends on what the boss has planned:D)