Evaluating a CT122

/ Evaluating a CT122 #1  

Sukee

I am in the market for a SCUT and was considering Kubota BX's, JD 2305 and MF GC2400. All three are similar sized machines. Then I came across the Bobcat CT122. It appears to be much more machine for less money (thanks to Bobcat's current "Free Loader" program!)

I'll use the machine for finish mowing a couple of acres (my lawn is "farm lawn", not an "estate awn"!), tilling between rows in my market gardens (at least between the rows that are wide enough apart at the time), and for manure clean out in the basement of my barn using the bucket/loader.

I test drove the CT122 on the dealer lot and am impressed. My only concern is it may be too big for my needs. (I also own a JD 870 CUT which I use to do soil preparation in the spring, run a small manure spreader with, and flail mow my fields with.)

The dealer had a 54" mid-mount mower in stock for the CT122. It wasn't attached to the machine at the time but it looked very heavy duty. It also appears like it would be a pain in the butt to take off/put on on a regular basis. (Advantage to the Kubota, JD and MF on that.) But I'm thinking perhaps I would be just as happy with a rear finish mower - it certainly would be quicker to get on and off.

I was also planning on getting a 44-48" rear tiller to use with whatever SCUT I end up purchasing. The Bobcat specs say the CT122 has a minimum width of 46.5" - I'm assuming with ag tires. The CT122 on the dealers lot has turf tires and its over 52" wide - outside tread to outside tread. Does anyone know how wide it is with R4 tires?

This is going to be a tough decision. I'm almost thinking the CT122 is too big for my needs (since I already have another bigger tractor). Plus, the Kubota and JD dealers are located 5 minutes away (and I know/trust them) and the Bobcat dealer is an hour away - and I really know very little about the dealership and their service/reputation.

But I am impressed with their tractor. Heck, if I "trusted" the Bobcat brand more (i.e., their long-term reliability and knowing they'll be in the compact tractor business for the long haul, and parts availabilty down the road) and I trusted/knew the dealership better I might even make an offer on TWO tractors: CT122 and CT440!

/ Evaluating a CT122 #2  
I am in the market for a SCUT and was considering Kubota BX's, JD 2305 and MF GC2400. All three are similar sized machines. Then I came across the Bobcat CT122. It appears to be much more machine for less money (thanks to Bobcat's current "Free Loader" program!)

I'll use the machine for finish mowing a couple of acres (my lawn is "farm lawn", not an "estate awn"!), tilling between rows in my market gardens (at least between the rows that are wide enough apart at the time), and for manure clean out in the basement of my barn using the bucket/loader.

I test drove the CT122 on the dealer lot and am impressed. My only concern is it may be too big for my needs. (I also own a JD 870 CUT which I use to do soil preparation in the spring, run a small manure spreader with, and flail mow my fields with.)

The dealer had a 54" mid-mount mower in stock for the CT122. It wasn't attached to the machine at the time but it looked very heavy duty. It also appears like it would be a pain in the butt to take off/put on on a regular basis. (Advantage to the Kubota, JD and MF on that.) But I'm thinking perhaps I would be just as happy with a rear finish mower - it certainly would be quicker to get on and off.

I was also planning on getting a 44-48" rear tiller to use with whatever SCUT I end up purchasing. The Bobcat specs say the CT122 has a minimum width of 46.5" - I'm assuming with ag tires. The CT122 on the dealers lot has turf tires and its over 52" wide - outside tread to outside tread. Does anyone know how wide it is with R4 tires?

This is going to be a tough decision. I'm almost thinking the CT122 is too big for my needs (since I already have another bigger tractor). Plus, the Kubota and JD dealers are located 5 minutes away (and I know/trust them) and the Bobcat dealer is an hour away - and I really know very little about the dealership and their service/reputation.

But I am impressed with their tractor. Heck, if I "trusted" the Bobcat brand more (i.e., their long-term reliability and knowing they'll be in the compact tractor business for the long haul, and parts availabilty down the road) and I trusted/knew the dealership better I might even make an offer on TWO tractors: CT122 and CT440!

I doubt the Bobcat name is going to go away anytime soon, and the investment thay have already put into SCUT's is substantial and I doubt they are going to write that investment off.
Al I can say further is I am quite pleased with my CT 235 so far, 113 hours in 4 months
:thumbsup:

/ Evaluating a CT122 #3  
The CT122 is a lot more tractor than those others you are considering. It'll take true CAT1 implements and has an outstanding loader. But, if you are really just looking for a mower, I'm not so sure that it has any advantages. It's weight might actually be a disadvantage. Me, if I were looking for the best mower, I'd actual go in the other direction in the JD line and go the X700 series route with all-wheel-steer. Has 4WD traction. Cuts almost as fast as a zero-turn. And will plow snow and pull a tiller in very tight spaces. No ROPS to get in the way either. The drawback is that attachments can be proprietary. Or, I like the BXs and the GC better than the 2305. HP should be a big consideration for you.