Buying Advice CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity?

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #1  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
I am seriously considering purchasing a new ct335. The dealer quote today was 16,300 + cost of loading rear tires. The price seems real good, but the only thing that I am afraid of is not being able to move a heavy load when I hook onto one. Does anyone know if there is a published towing capacity or drawbar rating for these tractors? My needs are driving me to downsize from a 55 hp JD geared tractor to one that is smaller and more maneuverable. I don't want to end up going too small by guessing at drawbar ratings.

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #2  
I own a CT 235, 600 lbs lighter than the one you are considering. My capacities from the Manual are as follows:

Max drawbar tongue weight: 1100 lbs
Tow weight (includinng wieght of trailer): 3300 lbs.

Yours should be slightly higher but the above should give you some idea.

Hope this helps.

Fred

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity?
Thanks, that's the kind of information I am looking for. Do you have the HST? Have you tried pulling any kind of load with your tractor?

There are artifacts from previous owners on the back of our property that I just can't get to with a larger tractor. I am hoping to retrieve some of that stuff with a smaller tractor, but none of the advertised specifications mention drawbar capabilities. The HST also looks attractive to me now that I am advancing deeper into "middle age". I was able to load a long deceased car onto a trailer and haul it out of the woods on a trailer with my larger tractor, but working those gears in the woods is a very tedious exercise.

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #4  
Ct 235 Bobcats only come in HST. Thus far I am happy with HST, I believe it to be more versatile on smaller acreages than a larger gear tractor, ie: numerous stops, turns, backing up, going forward etc.

As for towing capacity I cannot answer your question as to how much. It pulls anything I ask it to in second range with ease. I use low range for loader work on my horse manure pile only, other than that I use the mid range almost exclusively.

Fred

Thanks again Fred, I went to the dealer today and had him bust out the operating manuals for both a ct335 and ct440 that he had on the lot. Ironically the ct335 and ct440 are rated the same. Both were about 1500 on draw bar deadweight, and a little more than 7700 for max trailer weight.

It still doesn't tell me the max drawbar pull in pounds. The 440 is about 6 inches wider a litlle taller due to the tire size and spacing, it is also a few inches longer due the 4 cylinder engine. The rest of the chassis appears to be identical.

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #6  
Thanks again Fred, I went to the dealer today and had him bust out the operating manuals for both a ct335 and ct440 that he had on the lot. Ironically the ct335 and ct440 are rated the same. Both were about 1500 on draw bar deadweight, and a little more than 7700 for max trailer weight.

It still doesn't tell me the max drawbar pull in pounds. The 440 is about 6 inches wider a litlle taller due to the tire size and spacing, it is also a few inches longer due the 4 cylinder engine. The rest of the chassis appears to be identical.

:confused:...it isn't 7700 lbs?

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #7  
The tractor max stats listed in any manual are partly based on, and in my opinion, liabilities. The tractor that you are looking at will likely pull far more than what is listed and on flat land you will probably not have problems. Pulling a trailer and going down a hill is another ball game. A 4000 lb tractor pulling a 10,000 lb trailer (trailer weight and load) without trailer brakes means you have to rely upon the tractor brakes and weight of the tractor to stop you,,,therein lies the problem.

If your property is hilly etc. be careful how much you pull. The tractor will likely have the capability but can it be done without killing yourself on a runaway!

Fred

My two other tractors have had nebraka tractor tests with published drawbar performance. They measured actual pounds of sustained pulling force the tractor was exerting on the drawbar at rated engine speed in the different gears.

The 7700 lbs listed max trailer would be wheeled weight. It wouldn't require 7700 lbs of sustained force to tow, unless maybe it was deep in the mud, or on some soft ground going up a steep hill??? Which may end up being the case. Heading out of my woods is a liitle uphill climb and I still like to stick it in the mud every once and a while for old times sake:)

This trailer scenario is only a limited part of my intended use. I bought the place four years ago and it irks me to have stuff littered back in the woods. I like them natural. Once in a while I get a wild hair to go back and dig some of the stuff out. It works out good to use the trailer so I can just drop it, hook on the truck, and head to the scrap yard.

I do appreciate your concern Fred, thanks again for your input. I am leaning toward cementing a deal on the 335 on Monday. It looks like it would be a good fit for me, just had to leave there today before I was talked out of another $1000.

/ CT335 drawbar ratings or towing capacity? #10  
Dont rely on the specs. As already mentined, they are grossly underrated due to liability reasons. Either your tractor will move the load, or it will not. Saftey depends on conditions and operator.

I routienly haul firewood on one of our homemade trailers. Well north of 6000lbs with the trailer weight and wood. My manual says MAX trailer weight of 2800lbs. But it will pull it no problems, and stop it no problems. We are only talking a max speed of 13MPH for my tractor. Minimal hills and no icy conditions either.

It's all about common sense. I wouldn't have a moments hesitation hooking to an even heavier trailer to pull out of the woods. These tractors are built to work.

And as far as MAX drawbar pull, I have not seen any MFG publish that. I don't think they even test it. The Nebraska Tests usually list it, but that is usually for BIG tractors. And the amount you can pull has many variables. Like what kind of tires, ground condition, ballast, etc. If they did rate it, say at 6000lbs MAX, then Average Joe would be dissapointed when he hooked to his 6000lb trailer, that has sunk several inches in the mud, on a rainy day, and all he could do was spin his turf tires.