range selector jumping out of gear

/ range selector jumping out of gear #1  

bob2299

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct230, 35 hp Massey Furgeson 3Cyl Diesel
Hello I am new to your site. I am also new to owning a tractor, just bought mine 2 week ago, and I am having some problems, it is a new CT230, the range selector is out of wack, and the low gears jumps out of gear, their is no grinding when I change range, and if their is it is not allot and all I do then is press the "gas" pedal slightly in forward or reverse, of course I lower the trottle also the high range does not go all the way up, but goes 3/4 of the way up

when I sent a e mail to my dealer this is what I got

All hydrostatic models of the Bobcat Compact Tractor (CT120 thru CT450) use non-synchronized range gears (similar to most competitors) which means it is possible for the tips of the input and output gears to line up perfectly and not engage easily. To move the range lever into gear press the brake pedals then tap the travel pedal slightly in the forward or reverse direction, return the pedal to the neutral position then attempt to engage the range lever into gear. Repeat this procedure if the first attempt is not successful. DO NOT try to force the range lever into gear. This may bend the linkages. This procedure is outlined in the Operator's Manual. Bent range levers and linkages are considered non-warrantable failures due to operator abuse.

Does any one know how to fix this? Oh! I did not force the range selector into gear, the tractor has less than 20 hours on it.

Also one more thing I live in very cold weather today it is -12 C of 9 F yesterday it was colder when the tractor is first started it will not go forward or reverse, it take a while before it will move in any range is it because the oil in the Hydrostatic has to warm up? and what is the procedure to warm up this oil

/ range selector jumping out of gear #2  
Welcome to TBN!

Post your location, helps us to help you.
You mentioned deg C, so assume you are Cdn. me too!

Sounds just like my manual gear box transmission.
Non syncro so often will not line up , just as they say.

I need to often 'manually' align the gears, in my case generally slip clutch a tad.
and gently 'feel' the gear in.

As to your hydrostat oil, it will warm up as it circulates, just wait a bit, either way you really want to warm the engine also.

My hydraulics were also very slow this AM, so I went in for another coffee!

/ range selector jumping out of gear
OK Bonjour I am from Canada , Northern Ontario, 4 hour north of North Bay, do not understand what you mean by: I need to often 'manually' align the gears, in my case generally slip clutch a tad.and gently 'feel' the gear in.

How do you manually align the gears, my tractor is HST so just slide range selector in high, med, low range and go, but since Saturday the range selector seem's like it is not going into Low or just on the edge of low gear and the High will only go 3/4 of the way up so High gear is aligned with neutral...

Thank you for the help

/ range selector jumping out of gear #4  
Not saying you don't have a legitimate issue that might need dealer warranty work, but......

When these tractors are cold, everything is very stiff. Hydro fluid takes even longer than the engine to absorb heat from burning fuel. This stuff isn't particularly unique to BobCat/Kioti.

Changing range speeds, diff locks and other shifting is tricky sometimes. I call it zen.:) You have to rock the forward/reverse pedal ever so gently and sort of "feel" the shift change. No, you cannot force it. With time, this gets easier as you get better at the zen thing, or, if your a Stars Wars fan, using the Force.:laughing:

Very low viscosity hydro fluid is HIGHLY recommended as well. It speeds start up time. I also exercise the FEL and work the 3 pt a little to circulate the fluid. A block heater only helps the engine.

/ range selector jumping out of gear #5  
I have a CT230 and had the same problem, not going into low range and jumping out of gear. I also had to hold the lever in low to avoid the gear popping out. I went to dealer and service dept, took pictures as to the problem with the lever not lining up with the proper range markings and that the lever was hitting the the tractor lever slot. There is no adjustments for the linkage. I unhooked the flat rod on the range selector and used a cressent wrench to shift the lower trans gear lever into low range and tried to hook the flat link up again. Causing the gear not to enguage all the way. The link would't line up. So it led me to believe that the upper range control could have been welded wrong by 1/4" making it not go into gear. Bobcat service in Spokane Wa ordered a new upper control and the flat link. It works fine now. You need to take it to the dealer and show them yours compaired to another tractor..... Hope this helps jerry