Cold weather start CT335

/ Cold weather start CT335 #1  

afoster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 with cab
I received my new CT335 this week just as the temperature decided to drop down to -30C. The unit is equipped with, block heater, battery blanket and oil pan heater. I decided to try it out once the temp rose to -25c after being plugged in for several hours. It started no problem but I was startled by a whining sound coming from what I think is the HST drive pump (never owned a HST before just manual transmissions). As the unit slowly warmed up the sound went away. Does anyone have experience with these tractors in cold weather and can tell me what they should sound like when starting up. All the other tractors I've owned; I would let them warm up about 20 min. before trying the hydraulics, but I never heard a sound like this coming from the hydraulic pump at start up before. Still waiting for a response from the dealer as well.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather start CT335 #2  
My CT230 does that in the Manitoba frigid temps. It goes away as it warms up, like you said. I have had my machine for 2 winters now and 180 hours on the meter. I always let it run for 20-30 minutes, then I take it out of the shed and exercise the hydraulics.

/ Cold weather start CT335 #3  
Your block heater works great for the engine but unfortunately it doesn't help the hst trans. It takes a while for the engine heat to warm the trans and for it to make some of its own while working. I have a Kioti CK30hst, twin to Canada's. I've used it through six Winters and when it's that cold, the trans will whine a bit until it warms up. Mine holds 7 gallons of hydro fluid and I believe yours is around 10 gallons. Just give it some warm up time as Canada mentioned.

/ Cold weather start CT335 #4  
My CT230 does that in the Manitoba frigid temps. It goes away as it warms up, like you said. I have had my machine for 2 winters now and 180 hours on the meter. I always let it run for 20-30 minutes, then I take it out of the shed and exercise the hydraulics.

You should not be running the motor without a load for that long. The engine will not build any heat without a load. Start it, let the idle settle down, release the clutch and wait a few minutes to circulate the fluids, and then make it work.

/ Cold weather start CT335 #5  
I'm sorry but if you move it that quickly you WILL break something. -45C does a number on fluid. Your oils will string up like silly string. I let the engine start to warm and then increase the throttle in increments until I'm pushing 1500 - 1800 RPM. I then start to move slowly and I mean slowly. Exercising the hydraulics helps circulate the tar like oils.

/ Cold weather start CT335
You should not be running the motor without a load for that long. The engine will not build any heat without a load. Start it, let the idle settle down, release the clutch and wait a few minutes to circulate the fluids, and then make it work.
I was told the same thing over the years, but only find out that it is not actually the best thing to do with some of the newer hydraulic systems on tractors. I know Kuubota in their operators manuals actually has a chart laying out the amount of time you should let the tractor warm up depending on the outside temp, before using the tractor and it's hydraulics. There is warning in the manual saying "Do not operate the tractor under full load conditions until it is sufficiently warmed up". A similar statement can also be found in the Bobcat manual advising you to warm up engine and the hydrostatic transmission fluid before operating.
I think on the older hydraulic systems your advise might be ok but the newer hydraulic system are probably built to a higher tolerance and can not take the action you suggested without creating damage. I've actually noticed quite a few pieces of equipment with hydraulics on them that advise a warm up time before use.

/ Cold weather start CT335 #7  
I'm sorry but if you move it that quickly you WILL break something. -45C does a number on fluid. Your oils will string up like silly string. I let the engine start to warm and then increase the throttle in increments until I'm pushing 1500 - 1800 RPM. I then start to move slowly and I mean slowly. Exercising the hydraulics helps circulate the tar like oils.

So where are you exactly that it's -45. Not Portage. If it's that cold you should not be running the machine period.

/ Cold weather start CT335 #8  
I was told the same thing over the years, but only find out that it is not actually the best thing to do with some of the newer hydraulic systems on tractors. I know Kuubota in their operators manuals actually has a chart laying out the amount of time you should let the tractor warm up depending on the outside temp, before using the tractor and it's hydraulics. There is warning in the manual saying "Do not operate the tractor under full load conditions until it is sufficiently warmed up". A similar statement can also be found in the Bobcat manual advising you to warm up engine and the hydrostatic transmission fluid before operating.
I think on the older hydraulic systems your advise might be ok but the newer hydraulic system are probably built to a higher tolerance and can not take the action you suggested without creating damage. I've actually noticed quite a few pieces of equipment with hydraulics on them that advise a warm up time before use.

Kioti has a similar temp vs warm up time chart. I think it's there for a reason.

If you really have super cold temps, Amsoil makes a Synthetic hyd fluid. It's a 5w-30 weight, supposedly made for extended change intervals, easier flow in low temps, but costs around $150 for five gallons. Maybe an engine oil pan heater stuck to the tranny would work.

/ Cold weather start CT335
So where are you exactly that it's -45. Not Portage. If it's that cold you should not be running the machine period.

Thirty years ago in the north when it hit-40c you typically stayed home and didn't try running vehicles and equipment and is was an accepted thing to do. But now a days it doesn't seem to matter what the temp, is or the damage running your equipment in those temperatures will do; the expectation is you will start your vehicle and equipment and go to work. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is the trend up here.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather start CT335 #10  
Any feedback from your dealer yet?

As a new owner of the same model tractor, I am interested in what your dealer has to say about this issue.