Buying Advice serial numbers

/ serial numbers #1  

birddriver

I am new to tractors and I am thinking about buying a CT 230. I know they do not come with titles so what do you get? A bill of sale? If a dealer says it is a 2010 tractor how do you know? Are there serial numbers that you can match up to a factory invoice? Any info. you could provide would be helpful, thanks in advance.

/ serial numbers #2  
I am new to tractors and I am thinking about buying a CT 230. I know they do not come with titles so what do you get? A bill of sale? If a dealer says it is a 2010 tractor how do you know? Are there serial numbers that you can match up to a factory invoice? Any info. you could provide would be helpful, thanks in advance.

My CT230 was built the week of Nov 14 2009 and delivered on 12/23/2009. So I would have to imagine that it was one of the first 2010's produced. If the serial number is greater than ABFP1183X, then it should be a 2010 (or newer). Also look at the loader. If the arms are straight it's likely a Bobcat Manf. loader (the most recent iteration). Earlier machines used Rhino Loaders that have a curved boom.

Maybe Wallace will chime in with more specifics.

Steve

Last edited:
   / serial numbers #3  
I don't know if Bobcat uses the same numbering system as Kioti but with the Kioti's, the first charater in the serial number, a letter, is the year starting with an "A" for 2001 and so on. I'm sure Wallace will know and advise when he gets a chance.

/ serial numbers
Thanks for the info. I met with the dealer and for the people new to tractors, like myself, this is how it goes. Once bought you get a bill of sale. As for the year of the tractor, The dealer showed me an inventory sheet which indicated the date the tractor was shipped to them. I indicated that the sheet he showed me did not answer my question. I have asked to see the factory invoice with the serial number on it. I told him they can white out the $$$ figures because I am only interested in the build date information. I did not write the serial number down but I will use your info. to help me figure it out. I am buying the tractor at this point and the year is not critical to me but if someone tells me it is a 2010 then I just want to know that is what I am buying. The dealer had to order the loader for me. I am getting the new Bobcat loader and not the Rhino loader. I really could not find specs on the new loader and the dealer did not have much to show me about it. All I can tell you is that it looked sturdy, the cross support looked like it would do a better job of preventing twist with an uneven load and the welds looked ok. I am going with it. The only thing I did not like is that they were going to give me a 62" bucket and I told them I wanted a 68" so that when I back drag I don't see the tire marks. They said OK. I am supposed to take delivery soon. I will let you know how it goes!

/ serial numbers #5  
I am not home to verify this but I am almost sure that my 230 has a manufacture date on it on a plate on the left side up front along with serial number, model number and so on. Mine is a couple of years old and was made when Bobcat was owned by IR.

I could very well be wrong about this but I thought I saw that info before.

/ serial numbers #6  
My 235 does not have a date on the tag. The manual has some conflicting information on the SN's for the respective years, and loader version so I won't repeat it.

My SN is A9JY12xxx for what it's worth, and it is brand new except for the time it spent on the dealers lot.

The newer loader has a greater 60lb difference in lift capacity.

/ serial numbers #7  
Just took delivery of my CT335 last week. I also asked about documentation on the tractor, as to wether it was 2010 or a 2011. These apparently don't come with a title or even a certificate of origin. I did notice though my FEL did have a plate on it with the build date, and serial number. The tractor doesn't have a build date, but like you the dealer showed me when he recieved the unit in stock.

/ serial numbers #8  
Guys I do not have an answer, as I have asked several times with no response.

/ serial numbers
I took delivery of my new CT 230 and there are no dates on any of the serial number tags. The dealer did show me the factory invoice for the tractor but it just had a ship date on it not a build date. The tractor was delivered to the dealer in April of 2010 and I bought it in December before the promotion ran out. The dealer added the newer Bobcat front loader to the tractor and I ended up with the 62" bucket which is fine. When back dragging it just covers the tracks of the R4 or general purpose tires. I got a bill of sale and I it is insured under my homeowners policy. It's mine now. I don't have any attachments yet but since I am just pushing snow with the bucket for now that's OK. The hydro. is a bit noisy when cold but tolerable. I looked at, and sat in many other tractors, Blue, green, red and orange. Each had it's pros and cons but the value for the buck and features of this tractor led me to it. I paid $15,370 for it so far I am happy. Time will tell.

/ serial numbers #10  
I wouldn't worry about the exact build date too much. The warranty is from the date you bought it. What matters is you have a good BRAND NEW tractor at a good price. Enjoy!