BobCat CT122 Problem

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #1  

bmr2011

Tractor
BobCat CT122
Hello! I have a BobCat CT122 which just won't start in the cold weather.

I think it may be that the relay between the key and starter freezes in the cold weather. Has anyone experienced this problem. I have no problems except in cold weather. Otherwise, it's a great little workhorse.

PS. I've tried directing warm air in the area of the relay switch, which sometimes helps, but not always.

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #2  
Hello! I have a BobCat CT122 which just won't start in the cold weather. What do you mean by this? turns over but fails to start? Or does not crank at all? Are you using glow-plugs and or Diesel anti-gel treatment? Do you have a block hearer?How cold are you talking? If you complete your profile members can give you a honest answer based on where you live.
DevilDog

/ BobCat CT122 Problem
Hello! I have a BobCat CT122 which just won't start in the cold weather. What do you mean by this? turns over but fails to start? Or does not crank at all? Are you using glow-plugs and or Diesel anti-gel treatment? Do you have a block hearer?How cold are you talking? If you complete your profile members can give you a honest answer based on where you live.
DevilDog

Thank you for your response, DevilDog.

We live in Northern BC and have had the tractor for 2 years. It does not turn over (most times) in the cold weather, which can be anything from -5C to -40C in winter months. We do not have a block heater, but plan to have one installed before next winter! The tractor sits in a shed at night and I cover it with several moving blankets.

Yes, I use glow-plugs and diesel anti-gel treatment. I've tried sitting propane heaters near the tractor before starting. That works sometimes but not always.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #4  
So what your saying is the motor won't even spin over but you are getting electrical power.
If it is warm it spins over and usually will start.
If it has a hard time spinning over because of how cold it is then its a no brainier to install a block heater.

We sell the block heater kit for $99

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #5  
If your battery doesn't provide enough punch to spin it over, I'd also suggest a battery warmer. First, I'd check that battery itself for potency.

If the issue is hard starting otherwise, I would also chime in voting for a block heater. We get temps here equally severe. Had -34F just two weeks ago. Block heater!!! Plug it in for 90 minutes and it starts like it's May or June.:thumbsup:

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #6  
I have a CT235, don't know if this the same problem or not. When working in snow, the safety switch(under the right floorboard) for the hydrostat pedal gets iced up and will stick in the forward or reverse position. This prevents the starter from engaging just the same as if you are standing on the pedal and trying to start the tractor.
It is an "L" shaped brass piece of metal that lies flat as you look at it from the right hand side of the tractor. Click it back into place and the starter will engage.
Didn't understand from your post whether the starter on your tractor wouldn't engage or if it is engaging but not starting the tractor.
Hope this helps. J P

/ BobCat CT122 Problem #7  
I second the safety switch under the foot treadle. If something doesn't work, always check the safety switches and then move on to other items.

/ BobCat CT122 Problem
Thanks everyone, for your helpful info. When we bought the tractor we thought it had a block heater...we'll have to get one for sure.

Regarding the safety switches, thanks! I'll check that as well.

Cheers from the Cariboo region of Northern BC, Canada.