Surface rust on new 8TL FEL

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #1  

afoster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 with cab
I went out to use my CT335 today and noticed that areas of the FEL were covered in yellow markings. My first impression was that it was an spray of oil droplets on the tractor, but after close examination I realized it was surface rust breaking through the paint. The tractor is less than 3 months old with 30 hrs on it and has the new 8TL loader. I live in the Yukon which is a semi-arid environment so rust is usually not an issue here. The tractor is stored in an unheated shed (open both ends), has only been used to plow snow and never driven anywhere were road salt or gravel may have been used. So I'm really puzzled to see this rust on the loader; the rest of the tractor shows no signs of rust.
Has anyone else seen this on their loader.

Attachments

• Rust-3.JPG
    Rust-3.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Rust-6.JPG
    Rust-6.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Rust-4.JPG
    Rust-4.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Rust-1.JPG
    Rust-1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 263
   / Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #2  
I've got it on mine as well. Not as bad as yours, and only on the sharp edges and some of the welds.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #3  
That does not bode well for the longer term. Hopefully that is an anomaly but at very least it needs replaced or completely refinished since it will not get better.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #4  
I went out to use my CT335 today and noticed that areas of the FEL were covered in yellow markings. My first impression was that it was an spray of oil droplets on the tractor, but after close examination I realized it was surface rust breaking through the paint. The tractor is less than 3 months old with 30 hrs on it and has the new 8TL loader. I live in the Yukon which is a semi-arid environment so rust is usually not an issue here. The tractor is stored in an unheated shed (open both ends), has only been used to plow snow and never driven anywhere were road salt or gravel may have been used. So I'm really puzzled to see this rust on the loader; the rest of the tractor shows no signs of rust.
Has anyone else seen this on their loader.

Mine's worse (7TL), it was out in the weather for a few months before i bought it. I think they just have a crappy paint process and lots of weld spatter creating problems. I don't honestly think there is much to worry about, just sucks that it looks crappy.

You could try talking to your dealer, they might have something they can do.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #5  
My 8tl was brand new three months ago also. It has some tiny specks of rust showing along the edges of some of the welds, but the flat surface are all good right now. Will the spots wipe off, or are they coming from under the paint?

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #6  
I looked at brand new Bob-Cats on the lot..wasn't impressed with any of the paint.........brand new rusting all over.Not knocking Bob-Cat at all' just and observation.I think because they are white it shows more.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #7  
We had another 9.5" of wet snow overnight. After reading your post, I took time to look it over today before I got started clearing out.

That's the bad part about having new equipment. After making such an investment, I find myself being sensative about any litttle thing possibly going wrong. If this post was related to my 12 year old tractor, I wouldn't have even bothered to look.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #8  
Looks like someone for got to prime those parts.

HS

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #9  
I went to the closest BC dealer today.

Only 2 tractors on the lot, a 235 and a 445, and I wanted to see the 335.

Because of this thread I paid special attention to examine the FEL's for rust. Both tractors had clear rust-through occurring around almost every weld joint and surrounding area.

I spent about 15 minutes looking at both tractors. An employee walked past about 50 feet away; never once did anyone from the dealership attempt any level of contact with me, not even a howdy.

There are no other BC dealers within 250 miles (one-way) of my location.

Based upon these two issues, (and despite the fact that my wife whose tractor this will be really really likes the aesthetics of the BC emblem), there will probably be no BC's in our future.

I then went to a Kioti dealer hoping to look at a DK35SE HST as a model similar to the 335.

He only had one cabbed tractor on the lot, a DK45. I spent about ten minutes examining the tractor. No one approached me whatsoever so my wife and I went inside. I asked about the DK35SE and if he had any and what size it was. "No, and it is the exact same size as the DK45, the only difference is the HP". I asked my wife if she wanted to look at the 45, she said yes, so we walked outside to look at it. The dealer stayed inside and we finally left.

I then went to a Kubota dealership to look at a B3030. They had none, so I called the next closest to see if they had any. The salesman said "a what"? I said a B3030. He was unfamiliar with the model and had to check his book and then said no, he did not have any.

350 miles of driving to reaffirm that this site is the only place that I ever get any straight information. Dealers like Messicks, Wallace, and Bleed Green are like hens lips; hard to find.

/ Surface rust on new 8TL FEL #10  
I went to the closest BC dealer today.

Only 2 tractors on the lot, a 235 and a 445, and I wanted to see the 335.

Because of this thread I paid special attention to examine the FEL's for rust. Both tractors had clear rust-through occurring around almost every weld joint and surrounding area.

I spent about 15 minutes looking at both tractors. An employee walked past about 50 feet away; never once did anyone from the dealership attempt any level of contact with me, not even a howdy.

There are no other BC dealers within 250 miles (one-way) of my location.

Based upon these two issues, (and despite the fact that my wife whose tractor this will be really really likes the aesthetics of the BC emblem), there will probably be no BC's in our future.

I then went to a Kioti dealer hoping to look at a DK35SE HST as a model similar to the 335.

He only had one cabbed tractor on the lot, a DK45. I spent about ten minutes examining the tractor. No one approached me whatsoever so my wife and I went inside. I asked about the DK35SE and if he had any and what size it was. "No, and it is the exact same size as the DK45, the only difference is the HP". I asked my wife if she wanted to look at the 45, she said yes, so we walked outside to look at it. The dealer stayed inside and we finally left.

I then went to a Kubota dealership to look at a B3030. They had none, so I called the next closest to see if they had any. The salesman said "a what"? I said a B3030. He was unfamiliar with the model and had to check his book and then said no, he did not have any.

350 miles of driving to reaffirm that this site is the only place that I ever get any straight information. Dealers like Messicks, Wallace, and Bleed Green are like hens lips; hard to find.

Sorry to hear this, was it super cold or snowing? Did you stop at all dealers, or only BC, Kioti and Kubota?