Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers?

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I am looking for a rough cut mower for my CT230.

Choices I have:

1) a slightly used Tebben 60" mower w/ shear pin for $1200 + taxes.

2) an almost new Woods 48" mower w/ slip clutch and chain guards front and back for $1000 no tax.

3) an old used John Deere 60" w/ slip clutch for $1000 no tax.

The 48" might be nice for tucking in and out of the treed area that I want to mow. On the other hand, the 48" will not cover the tracks. Will also have an open area to mow too. Is this a big problem?

The 60" Tebben is more $$$, no chain guards and no slip clutch. Never heard of this brand.

The 60" John Deere is in good shape but very old (at least 25 years)...parts may be an issue.

What do you all think?

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #2  
I'd go with the 48 inch cut. It's newer, and has the chains for whatever you might throw out. If it was a finish mower I'd say get a 72 inch, or one that would cover your tracks...but it sounds like you need cutting power, not so much finish goodness.

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #3  
I don't know prices in your area, but I think I would keep looking. I really don,t like any of the choices. You want a 60" mower, for sure. I would think you could get a decent new one for $1200.

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers?
The cheapest new one is King Cutter and is $1499 + tax and then would require a 5 hr round trip drive or a few hundred $$$ to freight ship.

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #5  
Wow! I guess region makes a huge difference. I see 60" rotary mowers locally on Craigslist all the time between $500-$900. Some even less if you don't mind the "junk yard fresh" look in vibrant Rust (saw one for $125 yesterday and they claimed it even still works!) . I see some pretty clean looking units under $1000 almost every week and several "used but not abused" units close to the $500 mark all the time. Shipping to Canada would be a deal breaker though I would think.

Is the used market really that different?

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #6  
I never heard of Tebben, but there's no way I'd want either of the other two. I had a 48" Bush Hog when I had a B7100 Kubota. That was enough to more than cover my tracks, but when I moved up to a B2710 Kubota, I promptly traded for a 60" Howse brush hog. The Deere may be good, but no way I'd pay that kind of money for one that old. I agree with MESSMAKER; I'd keep looking.

The Tebben in made in Minnesota and good quality. The only thing I don't like about it is the shear pin. If it had a slip clutch I'd buy it.

Yes, living in Canada means more $$$ for stuff. But at least I didn't have to sell my house hen I had health issues last August and spent 2 weeks in the hospital and had all the high end tests (multiple times).

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #8  
The cheapest new one is King Cutter and is $1499 + tax and then would require a 5 hr round trip drive or a few hundred $$$ to freight ship.

Wow. That's high. For that price, why not buy one in the US when you're down this way, ehy? :)

/ Rough Cut (Bush Hog) Mowers? #9  
The Tebben in made in Minnesota and good quality. The only thing I don't like about it is the shear pin. If it had a slip clutch I'd buy it.

Can't you just add the slip clutch after you buy it? I can understand why some want the slip clutch, but I guess my land was not as rough. I never had a slip clutch on any implement and never wanted one. That just seems to be one more thing to maintain and periodically adjust. And with shear pins on tiller, 2 different brush hogs, one finish mower, as well as the neighbor's mower/conditioner and round baler, I only sheared one pin and that was on the baler, once, when the bale starter failed to fall back in place after I ejected a bale.

The problem is that I can't fit a mower in the box of my truck. I could fabricate a wood rack that would allow the mower to sit up higher than the truck box sides. If I bought a $900 mower in the USA and had to drive to get it...it would still cost me $150 - $200 in gas. Then I would still have to pay sales tax upon entry to Canada. So to save what? $100 to $200. Not worth it.

The only thing that makes me leary about the shear pin is that my neighbour has this Tebben 60" mower w/ shear pin. His tractor keeps shearing the pin upon PTO engagement. His MF tractor has an electronic engagement switch though. The Bobcats at least have the manual engagement and maybe not the starting shock.

His brother is the one who owns the implement dealership and wants to resale the mower for his brother.

Maybe I'll call him tomorrow and see if he can do better on the price.