Tach/Electrical Issue

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #51  
I'm having an similar issue with my 2011 ct235. No headlights and the tach/dash worked intermittently and finally quit. Does anyone have wiring diagram? The dealer gave me a parts breakdown that shows all the relays but none of look like they relate to the dash. Thanks.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #53  
Finally fixed my problem, bad relay behind the dash on the upper right side.
Thanks for the help winston1.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #54  
Heh. I'm running into the same problem with my CT230. But first problem was intermittent dash gauge problems. Tightened up all the dash instruments, no luck. Then the tractor wouldn't start at all. Jumped it okay. But when I shut it down, wouldn't restart. Checked the battery cables and the positive cable snapped right off the connector - had corroded through. That darned corrosion problem that seems to get everyone. Cleaned it up, topped off the battery, replaced the connector, and that solved the starting problem - battery and alternator are still going like champs. But still intermittent tach and hour meter, no instrument lights, no headlights, no taillights. Horn turn signals and emergency flashers work.

This exactly what happened to me. The battery post connector had corroded thru and broke. It would jump start ok. I never did fix my dash problems. Over head front and Rear Work lights, Horn, Turn Signals, flashers all work. No Head lights, Wipers, Intrument lights, Tach and hour meter.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #55  
   / Tach/Electrical Issue #56  
inspired by all the tips here in this forum. I decided to give it another go. It turned out to be a bad relay behind the dash. A Blue relay and it was the first relay on the left side. Or Brake side. Thanks for everyone and all the tips. Part # was T4180-69961 12v Relay.
I started this time with a known good relay and worked my way from right to left. My luck it was the last one I tried.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #57  
I'm also having the same problem, I have already did the wiggle test, I started the tractor and moved the steering wheel (tilt) up and down and have noticed a 1500 RPM difference between up and down, will do more testing but I'm afraid its the OCU......... Hoping to find a loose ground cable somewhere

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #58  
I was having the same issue with my CT445, intermittent gauges and lights. I took the relays off the firewall and used some 320 sandpaper to clean the plug spades on the outside and opened up the relay and used the 320 on the relay contacts. Put them back on and everything has worked fine since then. No troubles!

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #59  
I was having the same issue with my CT445, intermittent gauges and lights. I took the relays off the firewall and used some 320 sandpaper to clean the plug spades on the outside and opened up the relay and used the 320 on the relay contacts. Put them back on and everything has worked fine since then. No troubles!

Thanks to the advice from the guys on this board I have found the problem and fixed the issue with the dash panel instrument lights on my CT450. Some lights that should come on didn稚, others that should not come on did and the tach worked only intermittently. In the interest of simplifying life for other CT owners, here is my experience.

The problem was a faulty relay as many suggested, but which one? The problem was compounded by the fact that both the operation & maintenance manual and the repair manual contain a serious error in the discussion on relays.

There are four relays on the engine-side of the firewall. Both manuals have mislabeled the function of these relays. I discovered this after I replaced the relay labeled 妬gnition switch which didn稚 fix the problem. After hours of screwing around, I compared the wiring schematic to what the manuals said, and Eureka the problem leapt off the page. The manuals were wrong!

As others have pointed out, there are four relays on the engine side of the firewall. It is important that we all are talking about the same thing when we talk about right and left. The manuals label these relays from the tractor痴 right-side or YOUR LEFT SIDE AS YOU ARE FACING THE FIREWALL FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRACTOR.

Here is the correct order and function of the relays followed in parenthesis by the erroneous order listed in the manuals. The order is from your left side as you are facing the fire wall.

1. Pre-heat relay (ignition switch)
2. Starter relay (glow plugs)
3. Fuel pull relay (fuel pull relay)
4. Operating control unit -this is not a relay.
5. Switched power (timer). This is the relay that most likely is causing your problem.

/ Tach/Electrical Issue #60  
I'm not sure if your engine compartment layout is the same as mine. In the attached picture, it's
the first relay on the left. The attached diagram describes it as the ignition switch relay.
View attachment 403101View attachment 403102

I realize that this problem has been solved but I want to correct the post that I made.
As others have discovered, there was an error in the CT335 operator's manual. In the
diagram in my post, the Switched Power Relay is the far right relay, labeled TIMER Relay.
I didn't discover until recently (the last week) that the service manual shows the correct
location of the Switched Power Relay as the far right relay on the fire wall. Hope this helps
others that experience this problem in the future. I just replaced that relay after
experiencing the same problem again three years after replacing the first one.

View attachment CT335 Electrical Component Location.JPG

Last edited: