CT 230 lost hydraulic power

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #1  

Das Karl

Tractor
Bobcat CT 230
I have a 1.5 year old CT230 with 150 hours on it. She's done some loader work, tilling, bushog etc. Did the required initial service at the dealer to change hydro fluid, filters etc. this spring. She was a very strong running tractor. She could pull a hay wagon with about 6K of stuff on it over rolling roads in Hi range - which seems unusual given a lot of folks comments here on TBN.

Recently, the steering started to twitch and change direction, without touching the wheel. When the travel pedal is depressed to go forward, the tractors starts to move forward slowly, but when you press way down it almost stalls the motor, and it has no pulling power. The three point hitch now rises at a crawl, regardless of the speed set with the adjustment knob, and something squeals a bit when I select "up". The engine sounds OK, although it smells a little hot, but the thermo shows normal. Oddly, the FEL works just fine.

I checked the fluid levels hot, cold and running, and it is full. (which is the right way anyhow? - the worthless Bobcat customer service website can't even share that piece of info). No visible leaks, and no accidents that might have pinched a line.

So except for the FEL working fine, it seems like the fluid flow is all of a sudden inadequate. Is it possible to have a 'vapor lock' that needs to be bled out? Would the filter need to be changed after only 60 hours, and be impeding the fluid flow? Or is the hydro unit just shot? Good news is it's still under warranty, but I'd rather know if its a simple fix I can work on here rather than piling it on the trailer for the trip to town. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks
Das Karl
Faith Like a Mustard Seed Farm
Lucketts VA

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #2  
There are 2 sections in the gear pump, 1 of these is for steering and hydro pump charge. Check your engine oil level, looking to see if it is overful. If the pump fails it can dump hydraulic oil into the engine. 3 pt function confuses me because that receives oil after the FEL from the other pump section.

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power
Well riddle me this Batman! One my 37th look over the tractor, I noticed that the control lever for my single hydraulic remote on the right side of the seat was pushed forward into the detent position. I put it back into the middle position and now everything is working fine. 3pt, driving and steering! Maybe that makes sense to someone, but not to me. OBTW, the dealer did overfill the engine oil by about 1" when it was checked cold. I'll have to add draining that extra bit out to the endless list for next weekend. Thanks for the help.

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #4  
Well that explains why the 3 pt wasn't working. With that valve locked in it stopped flow to the 3 pt and with no place for oil to flow the relief valve at the loader control was open dumping back to inlet of the gear pumps. This creates alot of heat quickly. That hot oil was evidentally getting too high heat for the steering & charge pump. Do yourself a favor, get 2 male couplers and short piece of hose (about 12") put the coupler on each end and put that in your rear remote when nothing is connected to it. This will allow oil to flow if or when you accidentally hit that lever into detent.

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #5  
If it were mine I would remove the detent balls so that can't happen.
I've tryed the remote levers on the newer Kioti and Bobcat tractors and really disliked the detent on the control levers.

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #6  
Bobcat no longer sells the valve with the detent in it. If you want it to run a Backhoe or whatever, need to add the detent assembly. Both Bobcat and Kioti have a special part number for that hose, but a few $ at TSC and your good to go.

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power
Thanks for the info gents. It will be a training item for our farm tractor operators. Any chance I cooked the hydro fluid? It was almost brand new....

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #9  
Thanks for the info gents. It will be a training item for our farm tractor operators. Any chance I cooked the hydro fluid? It was almost brand new....

If everything runs OK and no noise you should be OK. Oil doesn't fail with heat but the additives can cook. If in doubt drain a couple gallon out and put in 2 fresh gallons, that will replenish the additives. If oil you drain has a burnt smell when you drain, replace it all.

Dennis

/ CT 230 lost hydraulic power #10  
You are lucky. Others who have done that have destroyed their pumps.

Yes, definitely put on the loopback hose. I just bought the hose and two couplers at TSC for $28 and put them on because I am loaning the tractor to a buddy without the backhoe. I don't want him to hit that control and burn up my pump. I sleep better at night now :D