CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #1  

Slowtorque

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1782
Well, I am now wanting a backhoe for my 09 CT235. I've got all of 17 hours on her so far and no troubles (outside of having to replace the battery with a $200 Optima unit).
I did a search, and there is very little discussion (and nothing helpful) on the questions I have, so here goes:

Is the Woods BH80X preferable over the Bobcat offering?
Does anyone have either that they could comment on?
Also, I do not have the rear hydraulic remotes installed; can I do this myself ordering the parts from the dealer or is it best to just take the tractor in? My mechanical skills are well above average.

Thanks so much.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #2  
I have the Woods BH80-X and I am very happy with it. I purchased mine a few years ago so things may have changed since then but when I was researching backhoes the specs on the Woods was better as far as digging depth, bucket force and so on. I put a spreadsheet together will all of those things and then compared them.

I ended up getting the best price through a place called Rosseell's farm and garden in MI. They used to have a listing on EBay and they had reasonable shipping rates that still allowed me to get it cheaper there than anywhere else.

If you search a little in the attachments forum, you will find several of us that have them.

Woods also offers a PTO pump to run the BH if you did not think you would want the rear remotes. Of course you will probably find some additional uses for the rear remotes.

I am very happy with my Woods. It seems to be very well built and I have used it for various projects and have been very happy with the results. I have dug some very large stumps out with it, several trenches, lots of concrete and I have been very happy with it.

Good luck in your search, I am sure both backhoes are very capable.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #3  
The rear remote kit is not difficult to install. I would also suggest getting the dual valve kit so you have one extra set of remotes, it is less expense to get both valves in 1 kit than to add the other valve later.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #4  
I installed a single set of rear remotes on my CT230. The most difficult part was removing the heavy deluxe seat without scratching anything. From there it is just a couple of studs, new valve components and finally the hydraulics tubes to the rear.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #5  
I installed a single set of rear remotes on my CT230. The most difficult part was removing the heavy deluxe seat without scratching anything. From there it is just a couple of studs, new valve components and finally the hydraulics tubes to the rear.

Ye, and the second set is no more difficult, just longer studs and slide both valves on then end cap and tighten.
A tip when removing seat, fasten the seat belt tight over the seat then it won't be flopping around while trying to handle it and keep from scracthing a fender.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #6  
Yes...I used a tie down strap myself. It is still an awkward piece and trying to dismount the tractor by yourself with the heavy seat and fear of scratched paint.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #7  
Be sure to go with a thumb if you get the Woods backhoe. Indispensable, even though its not a hydraulic and just mechanical you will find a lot of use out of it:thumbsup:

Have no experience on a Bobcat though so I can't help you there.

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #8  
You may want to read the thread on the Kioti forum, someone put a woods hoe on a Kioti, and the subframe broke both axle horn castings, and Kioti doesnt want to warranty it since it isnt their hoe

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE
Thanks so much guys. Seems like both the Bobcat and Woods are similarly priced. The Woods even has a hydraulic thumb available. Tempting. How long will it take me to get proficient with this thing?

/ CT235 backhoe purchase PLEASE ADVISE #10  
I have the hydraulic thumb on my BH-80X but to be honest, I have not used it over a half dozen times in the two years I have had it. I guess if you were picking up rocks and stuff like that it would be handy but I don't pick many rocks up.

As far as getting proficient, the more you use it the better you will get. It is not hard to get used to, I thought I picked it up pretty easily but I go long times between using it so it takes me a bit to pick it up again.

Did you check out Rossells for the Woods? They by far had the best price and very reasonable shipping if you can send it somewhere that has a loading dock. The subframe will cost you an extra $1k but with the force the hoe has, I feel a lot safer with the subframe than I would having it on my 3pt.