Block Heater Not Working

/ Block Heater Not Working #1  

tonydn6

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Hey everyone. I was at my upstate NY home this past weekend and plugged in the block heater so warm up so I could get to plowing some snow. After a few hours plugged in felt the block and noticed it was still ice cold, so I am assuming the block heater is not working. Only a year old and only have 57 hours on my CT235 so I guess a call to the dealer is in order. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

/ Block Heater Not Working #2  
Were you able to get the tractor started with the glow plugs? I too, have a block heater because it just makes sense to me to make the starts as easy on the engine as possible. In your situation, however, I would not hesitate to let the glow plugs do their job so that I could do mine-clear snow!

Frank

/ Block Heater Not Working
Oh, I still let the glow plugs do their thing and got the job done, was just wondering if anyone else had any issues. I also did check the receptacles and they were live and extension cord is good, so can't be that.

/ Block Heater Not Working #5  
Also...the block heater power cord has a plug to attach to the heater end. Make sure it is firmly seated. Mine has come loose before.

I always listen for the sizzle when plugging it in. Then I know that it is working before I wait the hour or two.

/ Block Heater Not Working
Thanks Canada, I did pull the block heater cord off and then reattached it just to be sure and still nothing. I am going to give it another try this weekend just in case, going to use another extension cord and all and hopefully I hear some sizzle!

/ Block Heater Not Working #7  
Grab a meter and test for resistence. Test the cord for continuity. Test with another extension cord. Those lighted ended cords are great for that.

/ Block Heater Not Working #8  
My block heater does not even budge the temp gauge on the tractor.

/ Block Heater Not Working #9  
The block heater I put on mine last year was giving me problems. Ended up it was the molded plug that plugged into the actual heater. The heater has 4 prongs, two round to the element and two spade to the thermostat. One of the female spades on the plug was pushed sideways in the rubber and wasn't making contact with the heater.
A push sideways with a spade screwdriver and some mechanics wire twisted around the heater and plug and it's good to go.....Mike

/ Block Heater Not Working #10  
Hey when you plug it in you will hear the sizzle of the cal-rod heating up the coolant, that is if you have 120 volts to outlet. I too live in upstate N.Y. and when the temps get down to single digits I plug in for about two hours before I use the tractor and tractor starts like in the summer time, good luck.
DevilDog