Oil weight?

/ Oil weight? #1  

HK45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti nx6010 loader backhoe
I need to change the oil on my CT450. What weight oil are you guys using? I dont know if i should go with 5w-40 or 15w-40 Im in Pa. thanks

/ Oil weight? #2  
I need to change the oil on my CT450. What weight oil are you guys using? I dont know if i should go with 5w-40 or 15w-40 Im in Pa. thanks

It's a choice. 15w-40 is dino, while typically 5w-40 is synthetic. Rotella, for example, also sells a semi-synthetic 10w-30.

These kinds of questions sometimes bring out the dreaded oil debates. Frankly, it just doesn't matter. You're gonna get a few thousand hours on your engine no matter which you choose, provided you do good maintenance.

There are few things more boring than a rousing My Oil Is Better Than Your Oil debate. :laughing:

/ Oil weight? #3  
It's a choice. 15w-40 is dino, while typically 5w-40 is synthetic. Rotella, for example, also sells a semi-synthetic 10w-30.

These kinds of questions sometimes bring out the dreaded oil debates. Frankly, it just doesn't matter. You're gonna get a few thousand hours on your engine no matter which you choose, provided you do good maintenance.

There are few things more boring than a rousing My Oil Is Better Than Your Oil debate. :laughing:

Well..it is! :mad:

:D

I always use the weight the manual recommends.

/ Oil weight?
I dont want to start a debate i know how that can turn out. It looks like i can run 15w-40 or 5w-40. I was wondering since I have read a few post's that say not to use synthetic tell over like 150 hours. Is this true. What would a dealer put back in it?

/ Oil weight? #5  
Some guys switch to syn at 50, while many wait until 100. I honestly don't think it matters anywhere near as much as some make this stuff out to be. Things will pretty well set in during the 50 hours. At 100 hours, it is absolutely OK. Again, this too is a choice.

Increasingly, lots of brand new engines come with synthetic in them from day one, and these auto/truck/van engines indeed do break in with synthetic. It may take a few hours longer, but they'll break in.

Regular maintenance and none of these things makes as much difference as a hill of beans.

/ Oil weight? #6  
The main difference between the 5W40 and 15W40 is starting in cold weather. Put some of each in your freezer and you'll be amazed that a motor with 15W40 starts at all in below freezing temperatures.
If you do alot of cold starts then I'd go with the 5W40. If you only use the tractor once a month in the winter and have some sort of block or coolant heater then you could use 15W40.
Also Rotella 10W30 has very similar low temperature flow ratings to their 5W40 so its a cheaper option and is fine unless you really work the tractor hard, like full pto hp, or plowing, for long periods of time and have oil temps that need a 40 weight to maintain good oil pressure.
Kioti's all come with 10W30 in them and I assume Bobcats do too, so its a good weight for normal usage.

/ Oil weight?
Thanks for all the info.

/ Oil weight? #8  
I run 15W-40 all year here in Canada. Just use a block heater in winter and give a good warm up period.

I have used all brands across the years with all types of equipment; airplanes, generators, tractors, vehicles, etc. and never noticed any difference in brands. I use SYN in my generators as it is easier starting by hand pull. I think the tractor has a semi-syn and dinosaurs go into the vehicles.

/ Oil weight?
I have one last question. In my bobcat book says to use a api service CD Or better, But Since my tractor is a 2009 can i still use a CI-4 Oil? I see alot of guys using CJ-4 oil but when i spoke to amsoil they said it was an offroad tarctor so I can use a CI-4 oil Which they stated was better then the new CJ-4. Is all this true?

/ Oil weight? #10  
You can always use oils with a higher service rating.