Anyone run a generator of the mid pto?

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
I have a Bobcat Ct 120 with 14 pto hp. Will I be able to run a generator large enough to power my home off the mid pto? I was thinking of maybe running a shaft 90 degrees to the side and leaving the loader in place. Any suggestions?

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #2  
bad idea for lots of reasons. You have enough power for 7kw which is marginal to run a home.

also, with the U-joint at that angle you'll get some surging as the RPM's change as the shaft rotates. That will mess with your A/C sine wave and could damage electronics in your home.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #3  
Your mid pto is 2000 rpm.
PTO generators are 540 rpm for the rear PTO.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #4  
exactly what dusty said. I am not sure if you really want to make alot of modifications to adapt a generator to use the midpto speeds. Most if not all, uses the 540 rpm rear pto speeds.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to try the mid pto for generator as I fail to see the logic of it.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto?
I was thinking I could run the engine at a lower rpm while maintaining 540 mid pto rpm, saving engine wear and tear as well as fuel.

Last edited:
   / Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #6  
I was thinking I could run the engine at a lower rpm while maintaining 540 mid pto rpm, saving engine wear and tear as well as fuel.

That would be true if you had a 50 hp pto and were running 20hp or so out of itand did not mind messing with pullys and belts to get the correct rpm. Diesels have a wide torque curve but it looks like you can't spare any at lower rpms anyway. CJ

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #7  
hmm, I dont think this will work. lower rpms means much less power so when lets just say a refrigeration unit comes on, the genny is under stress to cope with the surge load before going to a running load and your tractor might stall or struggle causing more wear then it should.
A diesel tractor is designed to run hard all day long with power not the other way around.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #8  
I agree your HP is too low.
I've debated a PTO generator for more power but more I look at it I'm just sticking to my gasoline powered stand alone generator.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto? #9  
I've debated a PTO generator for more power but more I look at it I'm just sticking to my gasoline powered stand alone generator.

Me too. The idea of unhooking a tiller / bush hog (or whatever is attached at the time) when its raining and the power is down; then hooking up a PTO generator sounds frustrating to me.

I know another engine creates hassles and gas consumption are factors but the gas generator is parked out back under cover and all I have to do is start it up and hook up the cord to feed the house. That is much easier when raining cats and dogs. I use fuel stabilizer and start the generator at once a month and let it run for 0.5 hr.

A PTO generator seems to much hassle to me. Especially trying to use a mid-PTO.

/ Anyone run a generator of the mid pto?
Thanks for the advice, I will think more about getting a portable generator that will work. OR.... Move to TX where you don't freeze to death when the power goes out. :thumbsup: