Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default mid PTO not engaging

I was working on cleaning up some brush this past weekend, pushing some of it into a burn pile when I noticed my mit PTO light was on. When I checked it, it was not engaged. I got to looking and on the left side of the tractor where the lever goes down on a CT230, there is a bracket that holds a couple of switches for the rear and mid PTO. It was bent a little so the lever when not engaged would not push the button in on the switch so this caused the light to be on. I bent it back a little and the light went off. However, when I went to see if I could engage the mid PTO, I could not. With the clutch in, the lever would not move fw.

I crawled under the tractor to check the linkage and it all looked ok but I noticed where the linkage and the shaft go into the mid PTO housing, it looked like it was pulled out a little farther from the housing than it should be. I took a hammer and lightly tapped it back in but as mentioned above, the lever would not engage. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix it? I don稚 use the mid PTO for anything but I would like for it to work in the event that I do need to use it in the future.
    Bobcat CT230, Woods BH80-X Backhoe, Caroni 72" finish mower, County Line 60" tiller, 72" United Boxblade, 72" County Line rotary mower, Quick hitch

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default Re: mid PTO not engaging

99 views and nobody has any thoughts? Come on, this is the smartest group of people I "don't" know. You guys always have the answers!
    Bobcat CT230, Woods BH80-X Backhoe, Caroni 72" finish mower, County Line 60" tiller, 72" United Boxblade, 72" County Line rotary mower, Quick hitch

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1878 Ford 65N

Sorry...I don't have a mid PTO. Never even considered it when I purchased as it looked to be a PITA for mounting and dismounting anything. It was $800 that I saved and purchased my rear 3pt mower with.

Good luck though.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Did you try slowly letting the clutch out while trying to engage the pto? Sometimes they need a little RPM to get the gears to line up so it will go in.
    2009 Bobcat CT235 with front end loader
    Bobcat snowblower
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    More attachments to come in the future....1st up.....60" box blade

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA

Make sure you did not shear off the roll pin.#21
    If I am reading your post correctly, I am thinking something got jamed up in there and forced the lever hard enough to bend the bracket for the micro switch. You also mentioned you had to tap the lever (#20?) back onto the shaft #16?.
    That really has me thinking you sheared the roll pin.
    You will have to remove the lever from the shaft or see if you can shove a drift pin into the hole and feel if the hole is lined up. Dont just look and see if there is a roll pin sticking out of #20 It may still be there but sheared off of #16
    mid PTO not engaging-mid-pto-gif
    Wallace Tractor and Equipment
    www.wallacetractorandequipment.com
    rwallacetractor@echoes.net
    RICK WALLACE

(570) 689-7494

We're not just a tractor store anymore!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

I tried letting out the clutch slow and that did not help. It was a little cold here today so laying on a concrete floor did not sound to fun. I will slide under there when it warms up a little. I too wondered if I had sheared that pin, I saw it when I looked under there before.

Thanks for your help. I will update this when I get a chance to look at it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

I finally got around to working on the mid PTO. I was able to punch pin #21 out and it was not sheared, it was ok. However, I still can't move the lever. In looking at the attachment that Wallace had in his post, I don't recall the small shaft labeled #16 having a crook in it and it looks like it goes directly into the #11 case and there is no piece extruding out like shown in the pic. I was able to move that pin in and out about 1/2" with my hand pretty easily but could not rotate it. I assume that means something inside the case is broken but I can't tell what part from the pic it would be. I don't really want to drain all my fluid out so I will probably wait to look at it when I reach about 100 more hours on the clock but in the meantime, what should I be looking for?