Removing my FEL

/ Removing my FEL #1  

Grand_Pooba

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230 & John Deere X324
Hi all,
I've had my CT230 for almost 3 years now and have never taken the FEL off. I just purchased a 72" KK rear finish mower and plan to use it to mow most of my 4 acre yard this summer. I'm trying to decide if I should take the loader off each time I mow, I don't have alot of things to mow around but I think it would be easier without it on. The question is does anyone else take it off, how long does it take and is it worth the effort.

Thanks,
Steve

/ Removing my FEL #2  
It only takes a few minutes to remove and reinstall provided you have a level place to park it on. If leaving set on dirt put some blocks or plywood down to set the stands on. I have Quick Attach buckets so just take the bucket off which usually gives me the manuvering clearance I need when working the garden close to a fence line.

/ Removing my FEL #3  
There are two videos from Bobcat on YouTube that detail removal and installation.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgFP0DdE2I]Bobcat Compact Tractor Front-End Loader: Removal - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFhrYOTPElE]Bobcat Compact Tractor Front-End Loader: Installation - YouTube[/ame]
I found these helpful even though I have never removed my loader.
I did email the web site for them to myself so that when I do need to remove the loader the information is always available.

Last edited:
   / Removing my FEL #4  
Take the bucket off if you have the Bob-Tach. If not...either leave on during mowing (heavier and less maneuverability) or remove it as per the video.

/ Removing my FEL #5  
Take the bucket off if you have the Bob-Tach. If not...either leave on during mowing (heavier and less maneuverability) or remove it as per the video.

I second that

I have never found the need to remove my FEL arms, but when I am working in tight situations I do occasionally take off the bucket

/ Removing my FEL
I've got the pin on bucket so it's all or nothing. Haven't heard from anyone that's ever actually taken one off. The video looks real easy, but if you were making a video to sell a tractor you would most likely edit out all the "%*#$@" parts.

/ Removing my FEL #7  
That is the reason I got a quick attach system. Why screw around removing/installing the FEL all the time when the bucket is the only real offending part when in tight spaces. I hate breaking the quick hydraulic disconnects. They dribble oil and then collect dust, Dirty hands or oily gloves is what you get. I just drop the bucket and run. The FEL can be removed and installed...would I want to do it once a year...sure. More than that...nope. You can adapt your pin-on bucket to a quick attach. Something to consider.

/ Removing my FEL #8  
I took my loader off when I did my own 50 hour service for 2 reasons. Easy access and just to do it. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it all out, but I'm pretty sure I could have done it in 5 or less immediately after. It has been over a year now so it would probably take 15 minutes again since I would have to remember the steps.

I was intimidated by it at first, but trust me when I say this, after you do it once, you will think...pfff, that was easy.

Course, like most, I have a Quick-Attach, so I see virtually no reason to ever take the loader off. If I use my loader for at least 75% of my work, so I prefer it on. if I was using my tractor 90% of the time for mowing, I would probably take the loader off so it was out of the way and a little easier to see.

Ultimately, nothing wrong with taking it off just to learn how to do it. Then decide if the effort is worth it when you mow.

/ Removing my FEL #9  
I've got the pin on bucket so it's all or nothing. Haven't heard from anyone that's ever actually taken one off. The video looks real easy, but if you were making a video to sell a tractor you would most likely edit out all the "%*#$@" parts.

I have read several posts regarding people who have removed their pin on buckets, and after an hour or two and lots of cussing, they finally got the bucket back on

/ Removing my FEL #10  
I have read several posts regarding people who have removed their pin on buckets, and after an hour or two and lots of cussing, they finally got the bucket back on

The quick attach is worth every penny to me not to have to be on my knees with a sledge hammer and alignment pins trying to make a bucket line up with pin holes.