Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default Ballast box?

I see on many of the other brand tractor owner pages the guys are using ballast boxes when doing FEL work but not many Bobcat or Kioti owners have them listed..Are our tractors heavy enough that it makes these obsolete? are people not listing them? or are you just using a 3pt implement as an alternative?
    Shawn

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Ballast box?

I have my 750 pounder on the back of my Kioti, and thinking about adding more (filled tires too!)

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT445HST

I have the Bobcat ballast box it's filled with bags of pea gravel. Later this year it's going to be modified to hold a platform with a broadcast sprayer tank

I was going to fill it with removable piece of concrete. Unfortunately the box has several steel reinforcing crosspieces, they make removal of a single piece of concrete impossible.

Having weight in the rear makes a big difference when using the FEL.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    CT 235

I have filled tires on my CT235 and have not found a nend for one.

However when moving heavy clay I use my box blade to remove some of the bounce. If you don't push it the weight of and implement such as box blade will work. Filling the tires is a must though. Check with you local AG tire store or CO-OP.
    2011 CT 235 with FEL, Filled rear tires, 6 foot Land Pride Box Blade, Ansung Terra Force YJR074 tiller, Ansung Terra Force 42 inch pallet forks, Ford 503 3pt side delivery rake, IH 1300 9 ft sickle mower, Hesston 4550 baler, along with rear flood light on the tractor.

Bronze Member

I usually leave a box blade on mine. Along with the juiced rear tires I have not had any problems so far. I do plan to add some weights and maybe a tool box to the box blade. I know the manual says to have weights.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Farmer View Post
    I see on many of the other brand tractor owner pages the guys are using ballast boxes when doing FEL work but not many Bobcat or Kioti owners have them listed..Are our tractors heavy enough that it makes these obsolete? are people not listing them? or are you just using a 3pt implement as an alternative?
    Shawn
    It's a matter of leverage (due to weight distribution) rather then actual weight.
    Many implements don't provide adequate weight to counterbalance the FEL lifting capacity. Some, such as a rotary cutter, are too bulky. Just adding weight to the rear tire (by use of liquid ballast) doesn't pull enough weight off the front axle.

Whatever you do decide to use (and I recommend ballast boxes 100%), make sure you have adequate ballast on the 3PH to reduce the load on the front axle, add traction and aid in keeping the tractor stable.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Sorry for invading the wrong forum, but we own/have owned several different brands and sizes of tractors and the only one that has done very well without weight on the 3PH is a Massey Ferguson 375 with filled tires and cast centers.

Everything else we have with a FEL, we use a counterweight and filled tires to get good performance.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Bobcat CT230 & John Deere X324

My manual states you need 800 lbs of counter weight for the loader to be used at it's max capacity. I have a 900 lb block of concrete that I made up that works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -counter-weight1-jpg  
    Bobcat CT230
    John Deere X324
    King Kutter 72" Rear Finish Mower

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST

I moved quite a bit of dirt, 1000lb bales, with loaded rears and a 350lb rear blade on. It worked OK, but now I have a 1000lb box blade and there is a large difference in how much you can do with the loader. I'm currently spreading around a couple 100 yards of clayey topsoil the excavator left from our pond project and I can run the tractor almost like a bull dozer and make a big curled up wave of dirt pushing with the FEL when going down the pile.
    Right now I don't plan to get a ballast box but it you don't need a big box blade or rear blade then I would get a ballast box.
    2011 DK40SE HST