Need help purchasing a Tractor

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #11  
Check out my signature line in my postings...you'll see I have a ton of implements to maintain our 17 acre property.

I use it to do tons of work! We have about 1500+ feet of gravel driveway, 7 acres of agricultural fields to cultivate, bush and grassy areas to rough mow. Then winter comes and we blow/plow.

As you know Canadian winters (especially Winterpeg) are harsh. I use my tractor year round without worry.

I would stay away from the CT122 and CT225 (too small). As I mentioned before....get good dealer support (anywhere you go) and get at minimum the CT230 model.

I got the cold shoulder from th JD and Kubota dealers here. Not interested in dealing with me. Then I contacted the BC dealer and 7 days later had a tractor sitting in the driveway.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #12  
I was thinking of the CT235 or the 40. But how big is too big for my lawn? What are my limits before I start to mark up and rut my lawn?
If you are going to be using a tractor for finish mowing you're not going to want a heavy tractor. You will also want Turf tires on the tractor. Personally, I'd use something else for finish mowing and use a (30+hp) tractor for the other chores. I'm always getting into something where I wish I had the extra HP.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #13  
They will all rut up the lawn if it is soft or weak soil type. I stay off the manicured lawn with the CT230. That is why I have a riding mower.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #14  
Canada ct230,
I purchased mine from Wallace, So I'm sure they went over the machine. But when I called them to fix the leaks on the backhoe they said sorry its out of warranty and it was going to cost me a few hundred to get them fixed. I Went to my local bobcat dealer and they went above the call of duty to make sure they had all the seals replaced for me no cost to me. They called the bobcat rep and told them what was going on and sent some pics. My dealer did tell me he understand where I'm coming from since ever time I use the machine its also going back to get fixed. The dealer I'm working with is the best. They dont question anything they just fix it. If it wasn't for them i would sell this tractor and never look back. Anyways Yanmar also makes the tractors for john deer. Well my buddys john deer has never even seen the service center. I also have a friend with a cub, same thing never had it taken in for service. Im not trying to start a war, I know your a good guy and have already helped answered a few of my question when i posted stuff on the board and i thank you for that. Im just giving this guy my opinion on my tractor and to keep an open mind and check out other stuff before buying.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #15  
Anyways Yanmar also makes the tractors for john deer. Well my buddys john deer has never even seen the service center. I also have a friend with a cub, same thing never had it taken in for service.
And I've had a Kioti DK 35 for 11 years now and its never seen a service center.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #16  
I am not offended but one bad lemon out of all of our tractors does not warrant a blanket "DO NOT BUY" statement.

If you buy a JD, KUB, NH or Case you can have problems....major ones too. I remember reading a lot about NH's breaking the engine mounts on the engine block and the tractor had to be split and repaired. A huge cost if not under warranty. That problem would also run into the Case-IH line as they are the same manufacturer.

They are mechanical devices designed by man and things can go wrong or be designed wrong. I hope your machine gets these issues sorted and then you can see how much of a work horse these machine are. Problems like yours are not common but I understand your frustration. I have the wife's VW Jetta and that thing is gonna be the death of me. A real POS that I fix all the time and then can't fix because the problem can't be found or duplicated. I also run into people that have NO problems with VW products. So what is it?

You can also get one disgruntled worker in there. A friend of mine knew about a guy in a Ford engine assembly plant that was purposely sabotaging the engine builds. He got fired but not before tons of engines went out the door with problems.

Now, if there were 50 of us with the same problems and constant breakdowns I'd be in the same boat as you....sell and run!

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #17  
I have one of the Yanmar made John Deeres. A JD 850. I've had it for a long time and its been good (1800+ hours).
I've had my Kioti for 11 years and its been just as good.
Like I said earlier, in 11 years (1650 hours) my Kioti has never been back to the dealer.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor
Gentlemen, thanks for all the input. Point well taken about mowing the lawns........I have a small Garden Tractor for that and it makes sense to keep using that and use the tractor for all the other stuff.

Does anybody have any input about must have options?

Thanks in advance.

Chiefs Fan

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #19  
Bob-Tach quick attach, block heater, deluxe suspension seat, slow moving vehicle sign (if road travelling) and at least one set of rear remotes. Industrial tires are good too...less damage if you cross turf but still fairly good traction in dirt (best of both worlds - AG vs Turf).

Useless items...Mid-PTO and belly mowers. They don't work great, hinder the tractor and cost lots of $$$.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #20  
Does anybody have any input about must have options?

Thanks in advance.

Chiefs Fan

What kind of attachments are you thinking of using? In the original post you mentioned having a V417 and have some attachment interchange. keep in mind the loader weight capabilties. The CT235 has roughly 1000 lb. lift and carry capacity, the CT440 is rated around 2000 lb. but your V417 is 4000 lb. lift. Buckets and grapples for V417 are much heavier duty and won't work very well on the tractor.

I agree with options Canada listed. If you put rear remotes on go with the 2 remote kit set. The second remote valve is only $150 -$200 more than each of the single valve sets. If you plan of having a grapple, get a 3rd function installed for front hydraulic couplers.