Need help purchasing a Tractor

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #1  

Chiefs fan

Tractor
None
Hello all, I am new to the forum and am asking for some help. I want to purchase a tractor for my acreage (7 acres).

Current Duties Include:

Snow Removal
Driveway Grading
Yard Work
Mowing
Fencing
Planting
General Lawn Maint

I currently own a Versahandler 417 with a few attachments and I want to be able to work these attachments between my two machines. Eventually I see myselft getting a skid steer too, and I would like to be able to share all of the attachments between the machines. I am also looking at this purchase to last me for many years and to eventually hobby farm with it a bit. So, I want a machine that will meet my smaller needs now and also be able to handle a larger workload in the future.

Does anybody have any opinions on which model I should be looking at. My company will be purchasing the machine so money is not the largest consideration for once in my life. I would like a machine that will last me a long time, do everything that I need now and in the future.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

ChiefsFan

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #2  
CT230 or bigger. I have 17 acres and use a CT230. Make SURE you get the quick attach option on the FEL...that way you can interchange buckets, etc. between a skid steer and the tractor.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #3  
I have a CT450 Backhoe loader. I would stay clear of bobcat or kioti. Every-time i have to use my machine, I'm also taking it to the dealer to be fixed. I have 120 hours so far i had to have all the seals on the backhoe replaced. Just had the rear right axle housing was leaking had to pull everything apart and replace the seal. The transmission would not go into high gear. Hydro lines leaking. I just said to the dealer I feel ever-time I take this thing out i have to get it fixed. Overall I think they are junk. My dealer on the other hand is great and never gives me a hard time about fixing anything. I would look hard at the cub cadet yanmar. Wish i would of purchased one over the bobcat.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #4  
I have almost 300 hrs on my machine and I wouldn't hesitate for one second to recommend or buy another for myself. I use mine all year round down to -30 degrees to plow/blow snow. Mine does not lead an easy life either.

I think dealer prep has a lot to do with experiences. A good PDI will tighten bolts, lines, check levels and catch problems. A poor PDI will show through very quick.

Let me tell you...I sourced a NH, Case-IH, JD and a Kubota tractor and was looking at $8000 more for the same features.

Kioti/Bobcat and now McCormick and Landini are made by Daedong. They have been making tractors since 1968.

Cub Cadet....are you kidding? Those things have had tons of problems.

Wallace will attest to Kioti and BC quality. He has sold both lines. There are many many many many happy owners here with very few dissatisfied people.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor
I have had my Versahandler for about 4 years now and have had no problems whatsoever. I am heavily leaning towards the Bobcat machine, I just want to pick the right one for my needs. Thanks for the input so far

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #6  
Cub Cadet....are you kidding? Those things have had tons of problems

I own a cub Cadet/Yanmar and beg to differ with the above post. I have not heard or read of problems with the cub/yanmar products. I have read of problems with the Cub Cadets prior to Yanmar ,but not since. Yanmar is now marketing their tractors independently of Cub Cadet and I think they are a great value and dependable product. The John Deere tractor I previously owned was made by Yanmar. A 2900 or3200 would be a good choice in my opinion.

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #7  
I see your an Edmontonian. I am an ex-Edmontonian myself.

Good luck getting Cub Cadet parts in Canada. I have a CC lawn tractor and I have 6 dealers within about 1.5 hr drive. Two of those dealers are 15 minutes away. I have endless trouble getting parts and usually get them shipped to a depot just south of the border and go get them myself. A real PITA. Then I fix it myself because I can't wait 4 weeks for repair during the grass mowing season.

Go with the BC. You won't be dissapointed and you'll have real dealer support.

Buy a JD if you want to spend $10,000 more. The Case-IH Farmall 30 I was dealing on was $8000 more than my BC and has way fewer features. Then for a laugh I contacted the BC dealer expecting a hefty $$$ price tag but was very surprised. I purchased my BC in 2009 and have almost 300 hrs on it.

As I mentioned, I am already leaning towards the Bobcat Product. I am looking for current and past Bobcat owners to help me choose the correct model for my needs and suggested options at the time of purchase. I dont want to have to keep running back to the dealer to have things installed that I should have had installed in the first place. I am very new to the tractor world and am just looking for some input from others so I dont have to research this for the next year on my own.

Cheers,

Chiefs Fan

/ Need help purchasing a Tractor #9  
The bigger the better... for me anyway. I have a CT235 and wish I had just a little more Horse power. I'm looking at the Mahindra 4035 which has more lift capacity. However, with 7 acres you should be able to get by with horsepower in the mid 30's.

I was thinking of the CT235 or the 40. But how big is too big for my lawn? What are my limits before I start to mark up and rut my lawn?