Vacuum

/ Vacuum #1  

boer

I have a 2009 CT335 and as of late, randomly, the fuel bowl will empty on me, while the tractor is running, to the point that it will starve of fuel. The remedy is to turnt he fuel bowl valve to air, bleed the lines, turn off the tractor, set to on, and away we go again. This may happen every 5 minutes or once evey 5 days. Totally random. Does not matter if you are going uphill, downhill, on the level, under a load or idle. Mecahnical fuel pump is tested and strong, fuel tank is always at least 1/2 full, and the fuel is always fresh. I have tried to runn with the fuel cap cracked open to see if that is the cause, but to no avial. Any ideas on wha tto look for or to check? This is starting to be annoying, especially when I have to get things done, like get the hay in fromthe fields as the dark clouds gather onthe horizon, going down the road, etc. all opportune times for this to occur. :confused:

/ Vacuum #2  
Does it do this when idling or under power? if under power, I wonder if there is a restriction in the fuel line coming from the tank. Although if the restriction is enough it could even happen at idling but take longer.

Look for any kinks or pressure on the fuel line from the tank to the bowl. If none- clean/replace the fuel filter and remove/clean the fuel lines.

/ Vacuum #3  
Or no vent.

/ Vacuum
This happens under power and idling, With the PTO engaged or just sitting there. Smokes black or blue smoke when starved for the fuel. The Fuel Filter has been replaced, the tank has been cleaned and fresh fuel.... still occurs. I too thought about the cap and have actually loosened it completely while the condition was occurring, no relief.

One thing for sure though... if you re-read my first post... when bleeding the air out of the line, if you leave the tractor running after the air is out and after placing in the RUN position, the tractor will still be starved. You MUST turn it off for about 5-10 seconds then restart it and it will work fine.

I have checked all of thelinies, no kinks or cracks... THis is a 2009 model with 270 hours on it. Kept inside when not in use and used mostly for brush hogging, moving round bales, and moving feed with the bucket. So it is fairly clean and washed at least once a month.

Unit started acting up at around 80 hours nad has been pretty sporadic until the last few months, now doing it more... and it is not weather realeted as it does this int he cold plowing snow and inthe heat and all temps in between.

/ Vacuum #6  
As random as this sounds, I wonder if there may be something in the tank floating over and partially blocking the fuel outlet line. Do check fuel line to pump for kinks, loose clamp, or pin holes first.

/ Vacuum #7  
As random as this sounds, I wonder if there may be something in the tank floating over and partially blocking the fuel outlet line. Do check fuel line to pump for kinks, loose clamp, or pin holes first.

Reminds me of a prank from long ago. When fuel filler necks on autos were open ended (no restriction plate that the fill nozzle goes in)- rumor has it that you could drop a ping pong ball down into the tank and that is exactly what would happen. Not sure if it is urban legend or not but- wouldn't that have P***** off someone in a hurry.

/ Vacuum #8  
This may sound a bit dumb, but if you changed your fuel filter at some point in time, check to see that the old metal cover cap did not stick inside the filter housing. I had this happen. Good thing I took the old filter to the dealer to get the replacement. They noticed the metal cap on the old filter was missing, and sure enough it was up in the housing. I never would have known if I had not looked.

The other thing is check to be sure the filter fuel selector is in the correct position. I noticed the manual has the photo backwards for the vent position.

Worth checking

/ Vacuum #9  
This may sound a bit dumb, but if you changed your fuel filter at some point in time, check to see that the old metal cover cap did not stick inside the filter housing. I had this happen. Good thing I took the old filter to the dealer to get the replacement. They noticed the metal cap on the old filter was missing, and sure enough it was up in the housing. I never would have known if I had not looked.

The other thing is check to be sure the filter fuel selector is in the correct position. I noticed the manual has the photo backwards for the vent position.

Worth checking

Right on. Picture is backwards, the long end of the lever should be pointing to front of engine in Run position.