Snow Plow

/ Snow Plow
Great feedback. Thanks guys!

I'll have to look around and see what is available.

/ Snow Plow #12  
Dont worry about the loader arms. I am not saying that it "cant" happen. But it is unlikely. People do it everyday, and have been for years without issues. Properly set-up, with the springs and a crossover relief, you have nothing to worry about. You are just pushing snow. Its NOT a dozer blade, and dont require arms and a frame built like one either.

And like wallace said, when pushing into a pile of dirt or gravel, its the same thing. In fact (and I am sure I am not the only one) there have been SEVERAL times when I DIDNT want a full bucket. Like say filling just a rut or pothole, and dont want to dump 5' wide path of material, I will go into the pile at an angle JUST to fill one corner of the bucket.

And what about when you are digging with it and catch a tree root or something on only one side?? That puts way more side force than an angled snowplow.

/ Snow Plow #13  
Really if you can go with the loader mounted great. But I was just saying that i couldn't get it pushed back off far enough that it "throws" my tractor around. That I want the plow closer to the tractor.

/ Snow Plow #14  
One problem with a loader mounted plow is that it is so far forward, (of the front axle) especially angled. that there is a bunch of leverage pushing the front out of the snow, esp. a deep or wet/heavy snow, driving (steering) will be up to the snow not you. This creates the forces that others have described (with a blade mounted plow) and may not be the best for your loader arms.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 430
   / Snow Plow
Well I am in New Mexico and even though my property is up at 5000+ feet any snow there is pretty unusual. What does happen, once every couple years, is that we'll get a couple inches of snow that is accompanied by strong winds and then we get these big drifts on the roads that typical 4WD jeeps and trucks can't get through. Even lifted vehicles with aggressive tires often won't be able to get through them. By the following day most of the roads are clear, if muddy, but the drifts will hang around for a week or more. That's what I'll need to deal with. The drifts that accumulate in the shady spots and don't melt away within a day. I can probably just use the bucket as the drifts will be 10-15 yards long and then a quarter mile of mostly clear dirt road. Given that the roads are dirt and rock that may be the better choice rather than tearing up an actual snow plow.

/ Snow Plow #16  
With skid shoes, trip springs, and a crossover relief, the odds of damaging your plow, even on a rock road, are slim.

But given what you just said, and it frequency and quantity of plow time you will need, I think you are right to just stick with the bucket. It'd probabally take you longer to throw the plow on than to just use the bucket and be done.

/ Snow Plow
Yeah, I think I'll see what happens this winter but keep an eye out for any deals on quick-detach snow plows. If this winter is like last and I do end up dealing with some drifts I'll find out real quick how it goes with the bucket.

/ Snow Plow #18  
If you rarely have snow could you move it with a scraper blade and bucket?

/ Snow Plow
If you rarely have snow could you move it with a scraper blade and bucket?
That's the plan for this winter. If it isn't doable or takes too much more work than with a plow then I'll find a plow.

/ Snow Plow #20  
You could get a truck plow and convert it.