Grease Fittings

/ Grease Fittings #12  
He may be referring to british pipe thread which is the same as npt

/ Grease Fittings #13  
He may be referring to british pipe thread which is the same as npt

the NPT fittings that I have only screw in about 1/4 inch an then cut. The BPT go in about 1 1/4 turns and then tighten. I sent one out of my tractor to granger and they told me and sold me the right ones being out of my Kioti on the hoe part. The rest of tractor I have not checked out or had to replace any. They are different .

/ Grease Fittings #14  
I just had the same problem with a few fittings on my machine. Not all of them really needed replaced. I found a couple that bottomed out on the loader arms. I loosened them a little, greased them, then re tightened. I needed metric for tractor and
SAE for the loader

/ Grease Fittings #15  
I agree. I have an 865 Bobcat and had several that would not take grease. I bought from TSC a grease fitting tool that you put light oil in it, then strike it with a hammer. The light oil gets pushed under pressure into the fitting and loosens up or pushes out old dry grease and helps push some slippery stuff into very tight fitting close tolarances areas. Worked for me almost 100% of the time. Only down side is that you need space to hit the tool with a hammer. The tool was about $ 25 to $30 as I recall.

/ Grease Fittings #16  
I've used the same tool, and it generally works great. You do have to remember to bleed all the air out of the tube. Otherwise, it's just a nice pneumatic spring.

I think the zerk fittings themselves rarely fail. It's generally a problem with the orientation of the joint ( under load or not), or congealed grease in the joint.

/ Grease Fittings #17  
There are a few sizes, Zerk Fittings / Grease Fittings ....Mike

I know this is an old thread, but... Thank you, Mike, for posting that link.

I have to replace one of the zerks on the front axle pivot (it got sheared off while working in the woods), and was perplexed at the assortment of threading I found. It was a surprise to discover that the zerk is threaded 3/8 x 24 on a tractor where most everything else is metric.

Were these zerks made of brass specifically because they are subject to damage, and the brass will fail before damage is done to the threaded hole? I suppose there are other reasons, but that's the only one that makes sense to me.