CT230 with new Cab but no heat

/ CT230 with new Cab but no heat #1  

bob2299

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct230, 35 hp Massey Furgeson 3Cyl Diesel
Hello I have spent the whole summer building and installing a cab on my CT230, My problem is I have no heat and my temperature gauge does not read temperature when I hook up my heater core,
The heater core is installed on the roof of the cab, so it's higher than the motor, someone told me I may need a auxiliary pump, I had it working a few day's ago, my trouble was it had ( I think) an air lock, I was able to get it to give heat and the temperature gauge was working,
The way I figured it out if the water does not flow true the heater core the temperature will not read on the gauge.
the trouble is I had it working, but the next day, I think it has another air lock, so now i am wandering if i do need a pump to move the anty freeze, or do I just need to try and remove the air lock another time. I am wandering if I will have air lock in this system on a regular basis because it is higher than the motor.

Thank you for your help.

/ CT230 with new Cab but no heat #2  
If there's any air in the lines you will get erratic or no feedback from the gauge. We have a roof mounted heat exchanger in our service truck, and it took quite a while to get all the air out of it. But there are no special valves or pumps in the system.

/ CT230 with new Cab but no heat
yes I think you are right, I still have air in this system, I just do not know how to get it out.

If the tractor idles I get no reading on my gauge, if I rev the motor it actually gives me some heat and a reading on the gauge, now I am worried that in order to get heat, I will need to rev the tractor, because the pump does not turn fast enough, is this possible.

/ CT230 with new Cab but no heat #4  
I'm not an expert in any way on this subject, but here goes. I assume your heater core has a supply hose to the core, and a return hose back to the engine. Are these heater hoses the same size diameter? If your return hose was a smaller diameter than the supply hose, would the core stay full of fluid due to not being able to expell as much fluid as what is pumped into the core? I know this may not be the answer to the air in the system question that you pose, but it seems to me that the core would stay full of fluid. Just my 4 cents worth (due to inflation) . JP

/ CT230 with new Cab but no heat #5  
Sounds like you have the lines hooked up to the wrong places. Or a air leak. The discharge side of the w/p is usually the top manifold or connection and the return is usually towards the bottom of the block. The water pump has enough pressure to push the air out of the hoses at high rpm's for the first time, then after that the hoses/core is full and it won't matter.UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEAK and letting air get back in the system. I have not worked on one so if it was me I would call a dealer and confirm your connections. Example, if you have both hoses hooked to the discharge side of the pump there will be no pressure differential so no flow. CJ