CT235 Tiller capabilities

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Per the bobcat web site my CT235 should be able to handle the 72inch Bobcat Tiller. However on most manufacturer web sites I only have enough PTO power for a 60 inch unit. Thoughts?

I will be replanting 3 acres of pasture and want to want to till level and replant.

Second question - Bobcat tillers were made in Italy before converting to US made. What do folks know about the durability of the Italian made tillers. Were they just as durable? Any weak points. I found a new never used Italian made one 3TIL60 at a dealer and am wondering what the fair price would be today given is is a few years old. Does anyone know when they switched over to US made?
Thanks

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #2  
Just to give a little of my own experience with tillers first. I bought a used 60" Taylor at auction 2 years ago. There was a 72" there as well but I was afraid it would be too much for my CT225 with only 19.5 PTO HP. My first use of the 60 was cutting virgin soil that had no been turned in at leat 25 years, possibly never. Tilling at full depth, 8", and up hill on about 5 degree slope the tractor never bogged the slightest. Never knew it was back there. For 3 acres, IMHO go for the extra foot width the 235 should handle it just fine.
To my knowledge there have been no problems, serious problems, with Bobcat branded tillers. The older ones are forward rotation, but the new ones they came out with this year are counter-rotation. The counter rotation may pull a little more HP from the tractor, don't know but just guessing.

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #3  
I run a 84in Howard tiller on my CT235, yea if I hit a hard spot etc, it will big down for a second and keep on going. I've also ran a Deere 72in tiller and never had a problem. So if I were you go with 72in tiller you won't regret it.

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities
Good information Right now I am looking at two near new units Ansung YJR 062 at $1750 and an even better condition Ansung YJR 074 for $1950. It weighs 992 lbs. One thing to take into consideration is I am at altitude - 6500 to 7000 feet here in Colorado Dealer indicated the 0074 would be too much for my tractor - its a Kubota dealer though.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Keith

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #5  
Do you know if your original dealer did any modification to fuel setting and timing to accomadae for higher altitude? I remember in some of your earlier posts about having some power related issues, just wondering if dealer may have readjusted engine for high altitude. If so it would help on power overall, but if this is unknown or in question it might better to error on the safe side and go with the smaller 60 - 62" tiller.

Dennis - thanks for your thoughts. I did talk today with the new Bobcat trained and certified service manager at the new dealer. I went to look at the Italian made 3TIL60 tiller that is still in the shipping crate. Even thought he comes from Texas I like the young man:). We had a quick chat about my unit. symptoms, leaks, etc and in the 5 to 10 minutes he has identified at least 3 things to check the other person might (probably) have missed. He even has the flow and pressure equipment the other service guy did not have. So next week when the go peddle parts come in and he has the unit he is going to go through and check everything. I will ask him this question. Timing is perfect too as I need to prep it for winter. The 62 inch tiller is also the exact width of the rear GP tires too with very little overhang of the gear box etc. With the 74 inch one being close to 1000 lbs it is right at the max lift capacity of the 3 point too. I just double checked it CT235 is 1100 lbs

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #7  
Dennis - thanks for your thoughts. I did talk today with the new Bobcat trained and certified service manager at the new dealer. I went to look at the Italian made 3TIL60 tiller that is still in the shipping crate. Even thought he comes from Texas I like the young man:). We had a quick chat about my unit. symptoms, leaks, etc and in the 5 to 10 minutes he has identified at least 3 things to check the other person might (probably) have missed. He even has the flow and pressure equipment the other service guy did not have. So next week when the go peddle parts come in and he has the unit he is going to go through and check everything. I will ask him this question. Timing is perfect too as I need to prep it for winter. The 62 inch tiller is also the exact width of the rear GP tires too with very little overhang of the gear box etc. With the 74 inch one being close to 1000 lbs it is right at the max lift capacity of the 3 point too. I just double checked it CT235 is 1100 lbs

No matter on fuel air adjustment at altitude you are going to have reduced power especially on a non turbo engine. I have the bobcat 60 inch tiller ( mainly because I have lots of existing 64 inch gates on property) and it works great. I would have gone bigger if not for the gates.

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #8  
No matter on fuel air adjustment at altitude you are going to have reduced power especially on a non turbo engine. I have the bobcat 60 inch tiller ( mainly because I have lots of existing 64 inch gates on property) and it works great. I would have gone bigger if not for the gates.

Very true, there will be some loss of HP at high altitude but if not reset the loss will be greater plus engine will run richer and smoke more pooisbly to point of over-fueling it.

/ CT235 Tiller capabilities #9  
I believe that your tractor has a non turbo engine. If this is correct, then at 7000 feet your 34 hp tractor actually will only have a little over 29hp, 23.7 at the PTO. Keep this in mind when purchasing PTO operated implements. ;)

Well I am going with the YJR 062. Will pick it up Wednesday after dealer goes over it to be sure everything is in working order. Ill follow up once I get it in the ground.