Buying Advice Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #31  
...I think there is a difference between a Deere tractor and construction dealer and the same for NH and case. New holland has 2 separate websites.

That's my point, Bobcat dealers where asked to wear both hats and they didn't want to. There's certainly spill over from one business to the other, but each business type has to be self sufficient to make it work.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #32  
That's my point, Bobcat dealers where asked to wear both hats and they didn't want to. There's certainly spill over from one business to the other, but each business type has to be self sufficient to make it work.

In some cases the dealers already sold a brand of tractor so they were not interested in brand.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #33  
The Kubota dealer was just expressing concern that he would have to work harder and wait longer for a sale at a lower price as he likely will have to try to overcome a buyer's objections/concerns when considering an orphan brand purchase.

Was it the Kubota dealer just down the street from Bobcat of Watertown?
If so, I couldn't even get an email reply from them when looking to do something else with a tractor that I had purchased new from them 3 years earlier. You may be better off looking out of the area. It certainly worked out better for me to do so.
Or as others have said, you may be better off selling privately and making a new deal with some cash in hand.

Last edited:
   / Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #34  
Just some dealer perspective here...

Whenever we evaluate a trade, if its not a Kubota\NH\Case\Deere\Massy a salesmens automatic reaction is negative. Outside of those major brands there is much more risk involved in taking a trade. Remember, we're buying that tractor... we want things that will peak a customers interest and not throw red flags. We also don't want things where we have our own questions about quality and parts support. We can't sell something that's broke, and in a way we end up having to stand behind those tractors even though we would never sell them ourselves. When you don't have these things, you get people offering thousands of dollars off the asking price... at least at our store, we can't do that.

Personally, If I owned a Bobcat and was on the verge of wanting something else... I'd be doing a private party sale right now.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #35  
I see we have a difference of perspectives here. Messick sells Boomers and thinks Bobcats are a bad deal and Wallace sells Bobcats and believes that his customers are getting good value. I really have no idea, but I would guess these days you could buy a 35 horsepower Bobcat tractor and loader for something like $12,000 less than a "similar" Boomer. While the resale or trade of the Bobcat will certainly be less than the Boomer, I wonder if it will ever be much more than the $12,000 less that you paid for it initially.

If people really believe I am totally wrong, please help me and tell me before I buy a new closeout Bobcat CT235 with a loader for $14,000.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #36  
A newly built BobCat store just opened down the road from me. He has at least one CT235 and one CT122 that I can see as I drive by. It's a new store for a local dealer that has others. Isn't clear whether this is truly new stock or stock moved from another store. Might walk in there one day and talk to them about the tractors and see if I can get a new tie rod for my Kioti.

$14K for a new 35 HP tractor with loader is an awesome deal. Just make sure you plan to keep it for several years.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #37  
Dealers are in business to make money...
They will usually low-ball on the trade in value...
You can always do better selling to a private individual...
The biggest issue is finding financing because most buyers do not have cash on hand...
Personally, I would either list on Carigslist or trade in at another Bobcat dealers...
You need to decide what you want for it first...
With zero financing offered by many companies used tractor sales for almost new units are difficult...

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status.
I think some Bobcat dealers know it's time to move them out. Last week a dealer out west listed a new CT230 for $12,900.

I've got a private sale pending at $9,500. (18 months old with 67 hours). I'm praying it comes together as my best dealer trade-in offer was $8,000.

I've decided to take the hit now and move-up to one of the major brands.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #39  
I think some Bobcat dealers know it's time to move them out. Last week a dealer out west listed a new CT230 for $12,900.

I've got a private sale pending at $9,500. (18 months old with 67 hours). I'm praying it comes together as my best dealer trade-in offer was $8,000.

To each their own and I hope it works out for you. I disagree that moving to a major brand is moving up though, unless you spend 3 times as much, it'll be quite the opposite.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #40  

Holy cow that is cheap, you could not buy a used bx for that.