Buying Advice Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #1  

Pierrepont

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
I have a Bobcat CT230 and for many months have been thinking about a new, larger tractor. This past week I started to get serious and while discussing a possible trade-in at the Kubota dealer I was told my machine is now an "orphan brand" and therefore not worth what it was as recently as September. I next spoke with the New Holland dealer about a trade-in and he brought up the same topic. After my initial shock I don't know whether to be disappointed or angry. I had the impression tractors held their value well.

The Kubota dealer said I should act quickly if I'm going to trade or sell outright as he forecasts Bobcat values are going to plummet. He suggested that I might have a little more luck on trade value at a Kioti dealer as they are a very similar tractor. His bottom line: Do something now or get ready to live with my Bobcat for a long time.

Is this the common sense out there? Anyone else thinking of trading and experiencing this line of thinking? After some hard thinking this weekend I believe I'm going to cut my losses and get rid of this machine ASAP while I can still get a trade offer (low) of any kind.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #2  
I don't know if it is everybody's sense, but I sure think those dealers are right.

It may be a white Kioti, but not everyone is as knowledgable as people on this board. So, the prices offered will go down.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #3  
Why not trading for a larger bobcat? Bobcat has been around for a long time and will not leave people hanging with an orphan tractor. All they did was stop selling them. You still have a very large parts source. if your looking to trade for a bigger tractor go with a larger bobcat

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #4  
Just like car dealers the tractor dealers will use any reason to tell you that your trade is worth less. Then will say something else when they sell it.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #5  
Since you're already thinking of trading... Do it soon. Otherwise, keep it. Since it is really a white Kioti, parts and service will be around for a while. I've heard that parts are interchangeable.

Tractors that were sold in years past like Ford's 9N had many thousands of units. Parts are sourced by many as will fit. That's why the 9N and its ilk hold their value as your impression.

You're depending on Kioti to build the same sort of following. At least in the near term, Bobcat & Kioti will support your tractor.

Be glad you don't have a Montana brand tractor.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #6  
Why trade it in and take a huge loss on what you paid for it? Why not list it for what you think it's worth and then see what buyers are willing to pay? If you are not in a rush, and you don't have to have a bigger tractor right away, it seems that taking your time to get as much out of your tractor will give you more money when you decide to buy. Another thing to remember is that the more cash in hand that you have, the easier it is to deal with a dealer on the price and financing of a new tractor.

Eddie

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #7  
How much would your Bobcat dealer charge to sell it on consignment? They should be able to get the best price out of it.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status.
Neither the Kubota Dealer nor the New Holland Dealer suggested that the Bobcat was a bad tractor. The Kubota dealer was just expressing concern that he would have to work harder and wait longer for a sale at a lower price as he likely will have to try to overcome a buyer's objections/concerns when considering an orphan brand purchase. It was this opinion, coupled with the declining Bobcat values already evidenced on the internet for used and new Bobcat compact tractors, that he is wrestling with. He does share confidence that most parts can be found if needed.

I've not yet found a larger Bobcat available to demo within my area, (dealers don't have inventory of new, larger machines), but I've also not yet looked hard. I've emailed 3 Bobcat dealers asking when they will receive more inventory and have not received a response in over 10 days. I have limited time to do this research and in that there are Kubota and New Holland dealers not far away and these brands were on my radar when I bought the Bobcat I think I'm just going to take the hit on my Bobcat trade now and be done with. It's a darn shame.

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #9  
It's too bad, even Bobcat is lowballing their trade-in offers on their tractors. I made a call a few weeks ago to look into trading in my CT122 for a new CT335, and the offer they gave me on my one year old tractor was ludicrous!!! He actually didn't even want to tell me the offer! My dealer, whom I really like, told me to try and sell it privately, and come see him in the spring when they'll be selling tractors for 50 cents on the dollar. Its sad, but if we wait a few months there might be opportunities for great deals!

/ Bobcat tractor's new "Orphan Brand" status. #10  
"Orphan brand"?..maybe to the dealers, but in the real world Bobcat has a darn recognizable name. I'd advertise it privately and see what happens.