Fuse problem

/ Fuse problem #1  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
I thought I was having a battery problem with my CT335. Went to use it Saturday to clear some snow and it wouldn't turn over after the glow plug light went off. Evertyhing on the dash went dark when I turned the key to the cranking position. Had to use the older tractor with the manual transmission. On Sunday morning I jump started it and it fired right up. Pulled the battery and threw it on the charger for a couple of hours and cleaned and tightened the connections at the battery and frame. Gave all connections a shot of spray protectant and everything seemed good. It fired right up on its own.

Late Sunday afternoon I went out to clear some more snow and nothing. No relay clicks. Checked fuses and found the 25A fuse with the fuel pump emblem and slash on it blown. Replaced fuse and again it fired right up. Used it for 1/2 an hour than put it away.

When I got home at 9 tonight, I went to clear the snow off the drive again, and again no clicks when I turned the key. Found the same 25 amp fuse blown again. It's late and the drive needed to be cleared so I popped in another fuse in everythimg was good for as long as I needed it tonight. Finished up and put it back in the barn for tonight.

Tomorrow night after work I expect to repeat the cycle for the three aditional inches of snow that are predicted. It will be late tomorrow or early Wednesday before I'll have a chance to read a manual to figure out what that fuse feeds exactly.

Has anyone out there had problems with this fuse before?

/ Fuse problem #2  
I would start by checking the wires going to the fuel pump to make sure you don not have a bare wire shorting.

/ Fuse problem
Turns out that the 25 amp fuse that has the fuel pump with a slash through it is strictly for the pull coil in the engine shut off solenoid. It is what makes the loudest click when you turn the key from off to on. Mine had only .1 ohms of resitance across the pull coil that enegizes only momentarily to unseat the plunger. The holding coil is fed by a seperate circuit and ohmed out fine, which is why it would stay running. The fuse apparently was passing current long enough to open the solenoid before it popped.

The tractor is about 10 weeks out of warranty but my friendly dealer said he would try to push it through under warranty. It is nice to have a responsive dealer to works with. I got the part this evening and it only took a few minutes to install. The loud click is back every time I turn the key again.

/ Fuse problem #4  
Turns out that the 25 amp fuse that has the fuel pump with a slash through it is strictly for the pull coil in the engine shut off solenoid. It is what makes the loudest click when you turn the key from off to on. Mine had only .1 ohms of resitance across the pull coil that enegizes only momentarily to unseat the plunger. The holding coil is fed by a seperate circuit and ohmed out fine, which is why it would stay running. The fuse apparently was passing current long enough to open the solenoid before it popped.

The tractor is about 10 weeks out of warranty but my friendly dealer said he would try to push it through under warranty. It is nice to have a responsive dealer to works with. I got the part this evening and it only took a few minutes to install. The loud click is back every time I turn the key again.

Thanks for circling back so we know the solution.

/ Fuse problem
No problem. Hoping that someone else might benefit helps to make a problem seem better.