Oil & Fuel Time for 50 hour service, CT235.

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #1  

Nlight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Hi,
I haven稚 posted since I asked for help in selecting the unit I bought last year. It is now time for the 50 hour service. I have purchased all BC filters and fluids. Are there any past posts or new suggestions or tips that I should know about for this service? I saw some frustration in the Kioti forum on filter removal. The dealer did say to warm the unit and cycle the loader and 3-pt before draining the differential/trans fluid.

I have updated my equipment list, and promise to post a photo soon.

Thanks!

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #2  
It's probably too late, but don't buy bobcat brand fluid unless you have more money than God. Moses buys Mobil or Shell at half the price.

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #3  
Remember - 3 drain plugs for hydraulic fluid, 2 plugs for engine oil, & 3 drain plugs for front axle. Yes, the filter under the platform by the right rear tire can be a "bearcat" to get off. I did my 50 hr. just 2 weeks after filling the rear tires otherwise I would have removed the rear wheel so I could get a cheater pipe on the filter wrench easier.

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #4  
I also own a CT235 (300 hrs). The filter removal on your first change are going to be tough. I was told the filters are put on dry at the factory making them a real pain to remove. Please have a top quality filter wrench (I actually bent my cheap filter wrench prompting me to get pro model). I was worried about removing the top filter so I removed the seat bolts and tipped the seat back (held with bungee cords) to expose the entire filter. It only took an extra 10 minutes.

The front axle change is simple providing you use a makeshift drain to prevent the oil from going all over the tire rim. I used a piece of cardboard, folded it and jammed it under the drain hole and into a shallow pan, it worked fine.

Be careful not to overfill after the oil removal, your machine will take less than what is stated in the maintenance manual. I had empty quart containers available and when the draining was complete I just filled up the containers with the old oil and therefore knew exactly what came out. Yes, it takes awhile but it beats the crap out of having to remove the drain bolts to remove excess oil if you have overfilled.

Just my thoughts! Fred

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #5  
Most of the time the filter is painted in place, take a razor knife and score the gasket. Next apply several liberal sprays of WD-40. Let it soak in then try the filter wrench

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #6  
50 hours and have to change the differential/tranny fluid/hydraulic fluid?

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #7  
50 hours and have to change the differential/tranny fluid/hydraulic fluid?

I don't get that either unless Bobcats owners book is screwed up like Kioti. Kioti's owners manual say's 50 hours dump every thing but the Maintenance book say's 400 hours dump fluids. and just change the filters at 50 hours. That makes sense.

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #8  
And here goes the debate again, whether to change out all at 50 hours or just the filters. I will admit the maintenance manual is confusing and I can confirm I was unable to determine what the manual wanted the owners to do. I checked with the local dealership and was told all they did was change out the filters. After reading the manual about 10 times I thought they meant to change everything, at least that is how I finally decided what they wanted.

In any event, I spent 20 grand on a tractor and opted to change out all. I did find some filings in the trans oil, some say the filter would have caught this but everyone has a different opinion. As for the dealership,,,, do they really care, they do the warranty if it fails!

Your call, your tractor, I opted for a complete change. Some will say I wasted my money, some will say I did the right thing. I plan to keep the tractor until someone uses it to plant me in the ground so I decided to spend the bucks.

So far, 300 hours. Repairs are as follows: Leaking trans line to the cooler (twice), replaced on their coin as there was a bulletin on this factory fault. Replaced the positive battery cable as it had failed (rotted off the post) and the cable seems flimsy but again, replaced under warranty.

Other than the above, a very reliable and strong tractor.

Fred

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #9  
And here goes the debate again, whether to change out all at 50 hours or just the filters. I will admit the maintenance manual is confusing and I can confirm I was unable to determine what the manual wanted the owners to do. I checked with the local dealership and was told all they did was change out the filters. After reading the manual about 10 times I thought they meant to change everything, at least that is how I finally decided what they wanted.

In any event, I spent 20 grand on a tractor and opted to change out all. I did find some filings in the trans oil, some say the filter would have caught this but everyone has a different opinion. As for the dealership,,,, do they really care, they do the warranty if it fails!

Your call, your tractor, I opted for a complete change. Some will say I wasted my money, some will say I did the right thing. I plan to keep the tractor until someone uses it to plant me in the ground so I decided to spend the bucks.

So far, 300 hours. Repairs are as follows: Leaking trans line to the cooler (twice), replaced on their coin as there was a bulletin on this factory fault. Replaced the positive battery cable as it had failed (rotted off the post) and the cable seems flimsy but again, replaced under warranty.

Other than the above, a very reliable and strong tractor.

Fred

If it works for you , do it.

/ Time for 50 hour service, CT235. #10  
Fred -

I was just more curious if the OP was doing it because the manual said to or "just because." Not knocking it either way. Can't hurt doing it that is for sure. It is a just a whole bunch of fluid. Usually when the OP post on this issue they make a comment about doing it above and beyond what is required. I didn't see that and was just wondering if on that tractor it listed it in maintenance.