Need starter for CT230

/ Need starter for CT230 #1  

george88

Howdy folks,
My starter just spins and won't engage.:mad: Starter label is Valeo DSL E5500-6301. It looks like the whole starter will need to be purchased and not just a solenoid. Anybody have experience with this on their Bobcat 230? Best source for purchase? Price?

geo88

/ Need starter for CT230 #2  
Before investing a starter you might want to check a couple problems that could cause this. Low voltage to the starter could be sufficient to spin the starter but not enough to give it the initial spin torque to force the drive out. Check battery voltage at post ot post and at the starter itself, 12.5v is minimum and closer to 13 the better.
The starter drive (bendix) could be dry and sticking. Take the starter off and bench test it, pull out and twist at same time on the gear to expose the ramp slots on the drive and put a couple drops on oil or light lube on it, work it by hand a couple times and bench test again.

/ Need starter for CT230 #3  
SSdoxie gave some good advice.
If that doesn't work take the starter to a local alternator/starter repair shop.
It can likely be repaired far cheaper than a new starter

/ Need starter for CT230
Thanks Dennis,

Did put a jump start on the tractor "just in case in was low voltage" and no change, still spun and didn't engage. Will have to pull off and bench test like you suggested.

geo88

/ Need starter for CT230
Vince,

After I bench test, then will check on any local repair shop. Noted on line the starters run for about $300.

geo88

/ Need starter for CT230 #6  
If you have a local repair shop specializing in starters & alternators, definitely take it to them first. Just a story with happy ending for me. My boat starter was doing the same thing then progressively got worse until the starter wouldn't even spin. I checked with Marine dealer on a new starter, $500 and he told me the mane of a repair shop to take it to. Stopped at NAPA to check price with them - $300 for an aftermarket brand that would fit. Took my starter to the repair shop and asked to have it inpsected and call me with repair quote. 2 days later they call and say starter is fixed and ready. I asked why they didn't call me first. He said repair was $12.50, all we had to do was clean connections on the brushes and lube the drive and it works fine. That has been 3 years ago and still going strong.

/ Need starter for CT230 #7  
If you do have to buy a new or rebuilt starter, be sure to bring the old one and get a core charge credit for it. Even a dead starter is worth good money.