Tractor News Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals.

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #1  

Nlight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
In preparation for the 50 hour service on my Bobcat CT235, I was reading the frustration many have experienced in the removal of the factory installed filters on Bobcats and Kioti tractors. This morning I attempted to loosen the Hydraulic filter near the right wheel using a ½ inch drive filter strap wrench. All I succeeded in doing was putting a good size dent in the filter.
Plan B: Purchased a 93mm 15 flute Cap Filter Wrench made by Performance Tool for $6.00, a ½ drive to 3/8 inch drive adapter for another $6.00, and a Craftsman ½ inch drive 18 inch Flex T handle, (breaker bar) for @25.00 which I should have had anyway.
With the above combination I was able to break all three filters loose without even a grunt. I was really concerned about the fight I was in for, what a relief. I can now proceed and hopefully enjoy this first maintenance job.
Thanks to those who have provided tips and suggestions.
Great forum!

Last edited:
   / Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #2  
Those filters are fun.

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #3  
In preparation for the 50 hour service on my Bobcat CT235, I was reading the frustration many have experienced in the removal of the factory installed filters on Bobcats and Kioti tractors. This morning I attempted to loosen the Hydraulic filter near the right wheel using a ½ inch drive filter strap wrench. All I succeeded in doing was putting a good size dent in the filter.
Plan B: Purchased a 93mm 15 flute Cap Filter Wrench made by Performance Tool for $6.00, a ½ drive to 3/8 inch drive adapter for another $6.00, and a Craftsman ½ inch drive 18 inch Flex T handle, (breaker bar) for @25.00 which I should have had anyway.
With the above combination I was able to break all three filters loose without even a grunt. I was really concerned about the fight I was in for, what a relief. I can now proceed and hopefully enjoy this first maintenance job.
Thanks to those who have provided tips and suggestions.
Great forum!

Good thinking, wish I had something like that when I tackled the job..It was no fun.

James K0UA

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #4  
I have ct 440 and about to give that a try

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #5  
I have a small rubber type filter wrench worked good for me. I think I got them from lowes

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #6  
A large pair of Channel locks do great for the job and the handles are long enough that they are their own cheater bars so that you don't even have to over exert yourself.

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #7  
A large pair of Channel locks do great for the job and the handles are long enough that they are their own cheater bars so that you don't even have to over exert yourself.

I pretty much trashed my filter trying to get it off. Then I borrowed a pair of monster channel locks. Came right of. They had the grip and leverage to easily do the job.

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #8  
Even a chain wrench around the filter torqued with a breaker bar wouldn't budge my hydro filter.

Slicing the gap between the filter and it's mounting area with a razor knife then 2 liberal applications of WD40 finally allowed the filter to loosen

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals.
I'm waiting for someone to try the method I used in the original post, It was painless and required no extra measures other than purchasing the tools I should have already had. As they say the right tool for the job!

/ Solution for Bobcat, and Kioti filter removals. #10  
I rented a commercial fluted cap filter wrench system that the local tool rental place used to service their equipment. With a breaker bar the hydro filter wouldn't budge.

We tried the filter wrench that has 2 big sides that clamp and tighten more and more as pressure is applied by a ratchet/ w breaker bar. No joy either

Even using a vice grip chain wrench (that was tearing the filter housing apart) my hydro filter wouldn't budge until we used razor/WD40 technique as described in my previous post.

This problem was exclusive to the hydro filter, the other filters were easily removed with a standard strap wrench.